- Courses and Events
- Core Facilities
- Pilot Feasibility
- Calendar Events
- Dr. Weinsier's Festschrift
- Training Opportunities
- Funding Opportunities
- Watch Videos
- Contact Us
Animal Models Core
|Core Director:||Tim R. Nagy, Ph.D.
Department of Nutrition Sciences
Phone: (205) 934-4088
|Assistant Core Directors:||Bob Kesterson, Ph.D. (Transgenic Mouse Subcore)
Department of Genetics
Phone: (205) 934-7206
Stephen Watts, PhD (Aquatic Animal Models Subcore)
Department of Biology, College of Arts and Sciences
Phone: (205) 934-2405
|Contact Information:||Maria S. Johnson, Ph.D.
Phone: (205) 934-4008
Purpose of the Core
The Animal Models Core (AMC) provides specialized expertise in the use of animal models and state-of-the-art instrumentation to facilitate animal research related to nutrition and obesity. The AMC is a unique resource for investigators with services and resources offered not available elsewhere on campus.
The Specific Aims of the Core are:
- To provide expertise in the use of animals models for nutrition/obesity research;
- To provide state-of-the-art instrumentation and methodology for the determination of energy balance (food intake, energy expenditure, activity, and core body temperature);
- To provide state-of-the-art instrumentation and methodology for the determination of body composition (dual energy X-ray absorptiometry, quantitative magnetic resonance, and microcomputed tomography);
- To provide cost-efficient services to Core users; and
- To promote interactions among investigators and to provide training in animal models and phenotyping methods.
Facilities and Resources Supported by Animal Models Core :
- UAB Transgenic Mouse Facility: www.uab.edu/medicine/genetics/uab-transgenic-mouse-facility
- Aquatic Animal Research Core: www.norc.uab.edu/corefacilities/animalmodels/aquatic