- Courses and Events
- Core Facilities
- Pilot Feasibility
- Calendar Events
- Dr. Weinsier's Festschrift
- Training Opportunities
- Funding Opportunities
- Watch Videos
- Contact Us
- University of Alabama at Birmingham Professor Receives $75,000 Grant from Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Grant will support examination of childhood obesity interventions
- Jong-Eun Kim, PhD: Research Associate Professor, NORC's Named New Investigator
- UAB School of Public Health Awarded 2010 Pfizer Visiting Professorship in Obesity Award
- Link between obesity and depression confirmed.
- Developmental Origins of Obesity Conference announced April 22, 2010.
- Congratulations to David W. Krauss, PhD, recipient of the 2010 McCormick Science Institute Award.
- David B Allison, Ph.D. has been elected to the rank of AAAS Fellow.
- Congratulations to Dr. Olivia Thomas on being awarded the 2009 Back of the Envelope awards
- Congratulations to Mr. Matt Giddings on being awarded a grant from the Alzheimer’s of Central Alabama
- UAB Public Health student cookbook shows world food, society connections
- Congratulations to Dr. Chandrika J Piyathilake, who is now the Editor-in-Chief of Nutrition and Dietary Supplements!
- Congratulations to Ms. Amy Ellis on receiving the NIH National Research Service Award!
- Congratulations to Daniel Smith, Ph.D., on receiving a poster award at the Center for Aging annual meeting
- UAB’s David Allison Wins TOPS Award From the Obesity Society
- Drs. David Allison and T. Mark Beasley in a front page article in the New York Times, congratulations!
- Congratulations to Daniel Smith and Paula Chandler-Laney, recipients of the Fall 2009 Career Enhancement Awards
- Paula Chandler-Laney's abstract issued as a Press Release by the Endocrine Society.
- Jessica Alvarez wins Presidential Poster Competition at the Endocrine Society Annual Meeting.
- UAB student, Felix Kishinevsky, presenting research on obesity in D.C.
- UAB Uses Nutrition Science to Fight AIDS in Africa
- Dr. Dana-Marie Thomas wins the Coca-Cola Company Research Award
- Dr. Jamie Ard named as new medical director for the OPTIFAST Program, a division of Nestlé HealthCare Nutrition (NHN).
- Congratulations to Daniel Smith for winning Honorable Mention at the 2009 Annual Botanicals Symposium Poster Session
- David B. Allison, PhD elected to Fellowship in the Society of Behavioral Medicine
- Congratulations to our 2009 Postdoctoral Research Day Winners: Anna Thalacker-Mercer, Daniel L. Smith, Jr., and Paula Chandler-Laney!
- Article by UAB’s Drs. Janie Gilliland and Frank Franklin recognized by Robert Wood Johnson as the second most influential child obesity research paper of the year
- Dr. Barbara Gower and Amy S. Thomas make the news
- Dr. Allison, recipient of the Centrum Center for Nutrition Science Award
- Dr. Tamilane Blaudeau selected as one of the 12 top Pro/Am dancers in the US
- Matthew Giddings Wins Prize for Top Student Poster in our CFA Annual Meeting
- Congratulations to Andrea Cherrington, MD, on receiving a Robert Wood Johnson Faculty Scholar award in July, 2008.
- Congratulations to Krista Casazza, PhD and Anna Thalacker-Mercer, PhD, winners of the 2008 Spring Career Enhancement Award
- Dr. Jose R Fernandez gains mention in the Birmingham News for his efforts on recruiting Hispanic students
- Classic Weinsier-Krumdieck article reviewed as Pivotal Paper
- Walk UAB! Challenge Announced
- Derek M Huffman's paper on aging gains mention in Science Daily
- Congratulations to Matt Giddings, recipient of 3rd place at the 2008 UAB Graduate Student Research Days
- Congratulations to Andrea L. Cherrington, MD, MPH, who has been selected for the Robert Wood Johnson Faculty Scholar’s program
- Congratulations to Dr. Krista Casazza for receiving a pilot award from the UAB Center for Women's Reproductive Health
- Congratulations to Dr. Jeanette N Keith on her nomination for the Argus Awards as Best Nutrition Lecturer
- Congratulations to Dr. Douglas C Heimburger on his nomination for the Argus Awards as Best Nutrition Lecturer and Best Coursemaster
- Dana-Marie Thomas named "Scholar" for the 2008 Health Disparities Research Training Award Program
- Congratulations to Paula Chandler-Laney on her recent grant award
- The New Genetics Workshop announced, Feb 15, 2008
- Dr. Mohammad Khaled of UAB’s CNRC delivers invited lecture on the “Role of Nutrition on Human Health and Diseases” on the Indian Subcontinent.
- Congratulations to Sarah Morgan and Doug Heimburger, both named for Best Doctors in America
- Congratulations to Dr. Doug Heimburger, named Health Care Educator of the Year
- Dr. David B. Allison recognized in the 2007 Presidential Awards for Excellence in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Mentoring
- Dr. Olivia Thomas received a travel award of up to $1,000 to attend the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s first New Connections Research and Coaching Clinic
- UAB research identifies two genes linked to insulin resistance
- UAB Partnership Wins National Award For Effort to Fight Childhood Obesity
- Congratulations to Dr. Cristina Lara-Castro, Dr. Mai Elobeid, and Dr. Marcus Guyton on being accepted as members of the NIH-sponsored Network of Minority Research Investigators (NMRI).
- Book now available for download - Ingestive Behavior Protocols edited by Wellman & Hoebel
- Congratulations to Dr. Jasmine Gaines, awarded 2nd Prize on the Poster Competition in the 2007 Summer Institute of the Morehouse School of Medicine/ Tuskegee University/ UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center Partnership meeting in Atlanta
- Tim Nagy, Ph.D. discusses calorie intake-cancer risk relationship in CBS News article
- UAB Weight-Loss Surgery Program Earns Highest Accreditation
- Congratulations to Dr. Daniel Shriner, recipient of the Spring 2007 Career Enhancement Award
- Free, monthly seminars on weight-loss surgery planned
- Postdoctoral Research Day Winners Announced - Congratulations to David Kump
- Congratulations to Scott Butsch, Dannon Institute 2007 Nutrition Leader
- Trimming The Fat- Nutrition Program Targets Middle School Kids
- Don't Gain a Pound this Holiday Season - Dr. Jamy Ard cited in the Washington Post
- CNRC paper on obesity gets positive press
- Garvey Named Butterworth Professor at UAB
- Our post-docs awarded in UAB Postdoctoral Research Day
- "Obesity and Mental Disorders" Edited by: Susan L. McElroy, David B. Allison, George A. Bray Published
- "How Fat Works" by Philip A. Wood Published
- Dr. Jamy Ard wins ILSI North America Future Leader Award
- York Lecturer Series: "Environmental Interactions with Genetics that Influence Obesity"
- Dr. Ard receives International Life Science Institute's Future Leaders Award
- 10th Edition of the Classic and Preeminent Text of Clinical Nutrition Published
- Dr. Nagy Appointed Editor in Chief for IJBCR
- Obesity Threatens Gains Made In Life Expectancy
- Laproscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding
- Obesity Or Hypertension: Which Comes First?
- Dr. George Howard in New York Times' article Health Mystery in New York: Heart Disease
- Expanding Weight Shortens Life Span 5-20 Years
- Drs. Jamy Ard and Cristina Lara-Castro wins Dannon Institute's 2005 Nutrition Leadership Institute Award
- Eat Less, Lose Weight, Live Longer
- Fat Study Falls Flat
- UAB’s St-Onge Named Future Leader
- Paula C. Chandler - Winner of Samuel B. Barker Award
- Dannon Institute Award Renamed for Roland L. Weinsier Award
- Fresh food cost may be linked to obesity
- Dr. Xuxia Wu wins the Best Abstract Competition at the Annual Meeting of UAB's Center for Aging
- Poor Nutrition a Threat to Elderly Adults
- Recent Obesity Studies Deflate Earlier Finding
- An Irish intern - Marianne Walsh's success story
- Dr. Chenxi Wang - Winner of 2004 Samuel B. Barker Award
- NAASO NEWS - Dr. Weinsier Remembered
- Southern Bell is really a 'steel magnolia'