- Courses and Events
- Core Facilities
- Pilot Feasibility
- Calendar Events
- Dr. Weinsier's Festschrift
- Training Opportunities
- Funding Opportunities
- Watch Videos
- Contact Us
Akilah Dulin Keita, Ph.D.
|The University of Alabama at Birmingham
Nutrition Obesity Research Center
Physiology and Metabolism, Department of Nutrition Sciences
415 Webb Building, 1675 University Blvd.
Birmingham, AL 35294-3360
Phone: (205) 975-6226
Fax: (205) 975-7050
I received my undergraduate degrees in sociology and Spanish from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. My PhD dissertation work evaluated the roles of neighborhood environments and health lifestyles on pediatric obesity among Hispanic, African, and European American children.
I joined the NORC T-32 Trainee Program in May of 2010. My research interests center on racial/ethnic and socioeconomic health disparities. Currently, I am working with Drs. Jamy Ard and Julie Locher on an NIA funded study to examine longitudinally how social support, psychosocial stress, and health behaviors may affect cardiometabolic risk factors among black and white adults age 65 and older.
- Cardel M, Dulin-Keita A, Casazza K. (2011) Contributors to pediatric obesity in adolescence: More than just energy (im)balance. Open Obesity Journal 3:17-26
- Dulin Keita A, Hannon L, Fernandez JR, Cockerham WC. The defining moment: Children's conceptualization of race and experiences with racial discrimination. 2011 Journal of Ethnic and Racial Studies April, 34:662 – 682 [PMID: 21532908]
- Dulin Keita A, Casazza K, Fernandez JR, Goran MI, and Gower, B. Do neighborhoods matter? Neighborhood disadvantage and long-term trends in serum cortisol secretion. [PMID: 20736487]
- Klimentidis Y, Dulin Keita A, Caszza K, Willig AL, Allison DB, Fernandez JR. (2011). Genetic admixture, social-behavioral factors, and body composition are associated with blood pressure differently by racial-ethnic group among children. Journal of Human Hypertension, epub ahead of print [PMID: 21248781]
- Cardel M, Higgins P, Willig A, Dulin Keita A, Casazza K, Gower B, Fernandez J. (2010) African genetic admixture is associated with body composition and fat distribution in a cross-sect1ional study of children. International Journal of Obesity, in press [PMID: 20877287]
- Casazza K, Thomas O, Dulin Keita A, Fernandez JR. Adiposity and genetic admixture, but not race/ethnicity, influence bone mineral content in peripubertal children. Journal of Bone Mineral Metabolism. 2010 28(4) 424-432. [PMID: 20087611]
- Fitzpatrick KM., Dulin A, Piko B. (2010) Bullying and depressive symptomatology among low-income, African-American youth. Journal of Youth and Adolescence 39:634-645 [PMID: 20422352]
- Willig AL, Casazza K, Dulin-Keita A, Franklin F, Amaya M, Fernandez JR. (2010) Adjusting adiposity and body weight measurements for height alters the relationship with blood pressure in children. American Journal of Hypertension 23:904-910. [PMID: 20414190]
- Casazza K, Dulin-Keita A, Gower BA, Fernández, JR. Differential influence of diet and physical activity on components of metabolic syndrome in a multiethnic sample of children.. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2009 Feb;109(2):236-44. [PMID: 19167950]
- Casazza K, Dulin-Keita A, Gower, B, Fernandez JR. Relationships between reported macronutrient intake and insulin dynamics in a multi-ethnic cohort of early pubertal children. International Journal of Pediatric Obesity. 2009 Feb:iFirst article: 1-8. [PMID: 19922039]
- Casazza K, Thomas O, Dulin Keita A, Gower B, Fernandez JR. Characterization of the metabolic syndrome in a multi-ethnic sample of children: Is it useful? Open Journal of Obesity. 2009 1(1):1-8.
- Casazza K, Dulin-Keita A, Gower BA, Fernandez JR. (2009) Intrabdominal fat is related to metabolic risk factors in Hispanic Americans, African Americans, and in girls. Acta Pediatrica 98:1965-1971 [PMID: 19673719]
- Dulin-Keita A, Casazza K, Thomas O, and Fernandez JR. Neighborhood level disadvantage is associated with reduced dietary quality in children. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2009 Sept:109(9):1612-1616. [PMID: 19699843]
- Dulin Keita A, Casazza K, Thomas O, Fernandez JR. (2008) Neighborhood perceptions affect dietary quality. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 43(4):244-50 [PMID: 20880752]
- Fitzpatrick, KM., Dulin A, Piko BF. 2007. Not just pushing and shoving: Bullying among African-American adolescents. Journal of School Health 77:16-22. [PMID: 17212755]
Acknowledgement and Disclaimer
The trainee's projects are supported by Grant Number T32DK062710 from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases or the National Institutes of Health.
Years: 2010 - 2012
Mentor(s): Jamy Ard, MD and Julie Locher, PhD