- Courses and Events
- Core Facilities
- Pilot Feasibility
- Calendar Events
- Dr. Weinsier's Festschrift
- Training Opportunities
- Funding Opportunities
- Watch Videos
- Contact Us
Adrienne N Milner, PhD
|Teaching Assistant Professor
Department of Sociology
Dr. Milner's areas of expertise include the Sociology of Physical Activity and Sport and Race and Ethnic Relations. As a graduate student at the University of Miami, she began analyzing the costs and benefits of sport participation for individuals with complex and diverse identities in regard to race, ethnicity, sex, gender, socioeconomic status, and sexuality. She has continued this line of research at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and is currently working on several projects that assess how racial and ethnic identity affect physical activity levels and how race-based differences affect a number of outcomes associated with physical activity. For example, she is currently completing a pilot study about how black/white differences affect weight loss among adults who participated in a walking bus program. Her other research on race and ethnic relations focuses on the impact of racial attitudes on politics, public policy, and inequality in the United States before and after the 2008 presidential election.
Ph.D. Sociology, Unversity of Miami, Coral Gables Florida, 2011.
M.A. Sociology, University of Miami, Coral Gables Florida, 2008.
B.A. Sociology and Women's Studies, Emory University, Atlanta Georgia, 2006.
Teaching and Research Interests
race and ethnicity, sociology of sport, sex and gender, sexuality, sociological theory
Undergraduate Courses Taught
Introduction to Sociology, Human Sexuality, Sociology of Sex and Gender, Race and Ethnic Relations, Sport and Society, Social Stratification, Development of Sociological Theory
- Milner, Adrienne. Forthcoming. “Michel Foucault,” and “Eliot Freidson.” In William C.Cockerham, Robert Dingwall, and Stella Quah (eds.),Blackwell Encyclopedia of Health, Illness, Behavior, and Society,Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Milner, Adrienne. Forthcoming. “Hate Crimes in America,” “The Southern Poverty Law Center,” “Noose Incidents,” “Bernhard Goetz,” “Furtive Movement,” “Jena Six,” and “Trayvon Martin Case.” In Charles A. Gallagher and Cameron Lippard (eds.), Race and Racism in the United States: An Encyclopedia of the American Mosaic, Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Milner, Adrienne, Baker, Elizabeth, and Sisiopiku, Virginia. 2013. “Motivations and Barriers to Utilizing Adult Walking Buses: An Examination of Demographic Correlates and Willingness to Participate in a Community-Based Walking Program.” Open Journal of Preventive Medicine 3(9):517-524. doi 10.4236/ojpm.2013.39070.
- Milner, Adrienne. 2013. "Sexuality and Sport." Syllabus published in TRAILS: Teaching Resources and Innovations Library for Sociology. Washington DC: American Sociological Association. (http://trails.asanet.org).
- Milner, Adrienne. 2013. "Sport and Stratification." Class Activity published in TRAILS: Teaching Resources and Innovations Library for Sociology. Washington DC: American Sociological Association. (http://trails.asanet.org)
- Milner, Adrienne. 2013. "The Impact of Sexuality and Gender on Students' Lives." Assignment published in TRAILS: Teaching Resources and Innovations Library for Sociology. Washington DC: American Sociological Association. (http://trails.asanet.org)