Department of Health Care Organization and Policy
School of Public Health
Phone: (205) 975-8960
Dr. Bisakha (Pia) Sen is tenured Professor in Healthcare Organization and Policy. She specializes in Health Services, Health Economics and Health Policy Research. Her primary interest is investigating the effects of interventions, policy changes at the institutional and state/federal level, and environmental changes on vulnerable populations, particularly in the areas of health service utilization, obesogenic behaviors and substance use. Dr. Sen's research has been published in journals such as New England Journal of Medicine, Health Services Research, Pediatrics, Social Science & Medicine, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, American Journal of Public Health, Inquiry, Journal of Policy Analysis & Management, Journal of Health Economics, Health Economics, Southern Economic Journal, Journal of Adolescence, Preventive Medicine, Journal of Mental Health Policy & Economics, Medicare & Medicaid Research Review and Contemporary Economic Policy, among others. Her research has been funded by NIH, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, CDC, and the Alabama Department of Public Health. She also raised money via crowdfunding for a pilot study on gun policy research, where her efforts were featured in the New York Times and BBC.
Dr. Sen teaches classes on Health Economics and Empirical Methods for Health Services Research in the School of Public Health. She also teaches Health Economics in the Executive MSHA program, and Regression Methods in the Executive Doctoral program in the School of Health Professions. She was a recipient of the UAB Graduate Dean’s Excellence in Mentorship Award in 2012, and a finalist for UAB President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching in the same year.
Dr Sen completed her Bachelor's in Economics from Presidency College, Calcutta (India) and came to the U.S. in 1992. She received her Ph.D in Economics from the Ohio State University in 1998. She moved to Birmingham in 2002. Dr. Sen is deeply involved with the local community. She is director of the multi-cultural dance group 'Notinee', a member-sponsor of the Indian Cultural Society @ Birmingham Museum of Art, and part of the Board of Directors of The Women's Fund of Greater Birmingham. She and her husband (Mr Sanjeev Chaudhuri) were 2015 recipients of the B-metro Fusion Awards presented by the city of Birmingham.
Selected Media Articles:
Selected Recent Publications:
- Upadhyay, Soumya**, Bisakha Sen & Dean Smith. “The Cash Conversion Cycle and profitability: a Study of Hospitals in the State of Washington.” Forthcoming, Journal of Healthcare Finance.
- Ferdinand, Alva., Nir Menachemi, Justin Blackburn, Bisakha Sen, Leonard Nelson, & Michael Morrisey. “ The Impact of Texting Bans on Motor Vehicle Crash-related Hospitalizations.” Forthcoming, American Journal of Public Health.
- Xin, Haichang, Meredith Kilgore & Bisakha Sen. "Is access to and use of primary care practices that patients perceive as having essential qualities of a patient-centered medical home associated with positive patient experience? Empirical evidence from a US nationally representative sample" Forthcoming, Journal for Healthcare Quality.
- Drewry, Jonathan**, Bisakha Sen, Janet Bronstein, E Mike Foster, Milton Kotelchuck & Martha Wingate. “The impact of the State Children’s health Insurance Program’s Unborn Child Ruling on Foreign-Born Latina Prenatal Care & Birth Outcomes, 2000-2007.” Forthcoming, Maternal & Child Health Journal.
- Sen, Bisakha. “Using the Oaxaca-Blinder Decomposition as an Empirical Tool to Analyze Racial Disparities in Obesity.” Obesity. Online before print: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.20755/abstract
- Sen, Bisakha, Justin Blackburn, Michael Morrisey, David Becker, Meredith Kilgore, Cathy Caldwell & Nir Menachemi. “Can Increases in CHIP Copayments Reduce Program Expenditures on Prescription Drugs?” 2014. Medicare & Medicaid Research Review 4(2).
- Goldfarb, Samantha**, Willi Tarver** & Bisakha Sen. “Family structure and risk behaviors: the role of the family meal in assessing likelihood of adolescent risk behaviors”. 2014. Psychology Research and Behavior Management 7. 53-66. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/PRBM.S40461.
- Sen, Bisakha, Nitish Patidar** & Sheikilya Thomas**. “A Silver Lining to Higher Prices at the Pump? Gasoline Prices and Teen Driving Behaviors.” 2014. American Journal of Health Promotion. 28(3): 146-154. doi: 10.4278/ajhp.120926-QUAN-471.
- Sen, Bisakha, Justin Blackburn, Michael Morrisey, Meredith Kilgore, David Becker, Cathy Caldwell & Nir Menachemi. “Effectiveness of Preventive Dental Visits in Reducing Non-Preventive Dental Services & Expenditures.” 2013. Pediatrics.131(6). 1107-13. PMID 23713098.
- Menachemi, Nir, Gabriel Tajeu**, Bisakha Sen, Alva Ferdinand**, Chelsea Singleton**, Janice Utley**, Olivia Affuso, David Allison. “Misleading and Overreaching Statements in the Nutrition and Obesity Peer-Reviewed Literature: Frequency and Associated Factors.” American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2013. 45(5):615–621.
- Casazza, Krista, Kevin R. Fontaine, Arne Astrup, Leann Birch, Andrew W. Brown, Michelle M. Bohan Brown, Nefertiti Durant, Gareth Dutton, E. Michael Foster, Steven B. Heymsfield, Kerry McIver,Tapan Mehta, Nir Menachemi, P.K. Newby, Russell Pate, Barbara J. Rolls, Bisakha Sen, Daniel L. Smith Jr., Diana Thomas, David B. Allison. “Myths, Presumptions, and Facts in Obesity.” New England Journal of Medicine. 2013. 368(5). 446-454.
- Yeager, Valerie**, Nir Menachemi, Peter Ginter, Bisakha Sen, Grant Savage & Leslie Beitsch. “Environmental Factors and Quality Improvement in County & Local Health Departments.” Journal of Public Health Management & Practice. 2013. 19(3). 240-9.
- Sen, Bisakha & Anantachai Panjamapirom. “State Background Checks for Gun Purchase and Firearm Deaths: An Exploratory Study.” Preventive Medicine. 2012. 55(4). 346-350. PMID: 22850436.
- Sen, Bisakha, Michael Morrisey, Peter Ginter & Nir Menachemi. “Analyzing the Gender Gap in the Salary of Health Administration Faculty.” Journal of Health Administration Education. 29(4). 2012. 303-317.
- Sen, Bisakha, Justin Blackburn, Michael Morrisey, Meredith Kilgore, David Becker, Cathy Caldwell & Nir Menachemi. “Did Copayment Changes Reduce Health-Service Utilization Among Chip Enrollees? Evidence From Alabama.” Health Services Research 47(4). 2012. 1603-1620. PMID: 22352979
- Tajeu, Gabriel**, Bisakha Sen, David Allison & Nir Menachemi. “Misuse of Odds Ratios in the Obesity Literature: An Empirical Analysis of Published Studies.” Obesity. 2012. 20(8). 1726-31.
- Sen, Bisakha, Martha S. Wingate & Russell Kirby. “The Relationship between State Abortion Restrictions and Homicide Deaths Among Children Under 5 Years Of Age: A Longitudinal Study.” Social Science & Medicine.2012. 75(1):156-64. PMID: 22497846.
- Sen, Bisakha. “Is There An Association Between Gasoline Prices & Physical Activity? Evidence from American Time Use Data.” Journal of Policy Analysis & Management. 31(2). 2012. 338-366.
- Patel, Payal** & Bisakha Sen. “Teen Motherhood and Long-Term Health Consequences.” Maternal & Child Health Journal. 16(5) 2012, 1063-1071