- Courses and Events
- Core Facilities
- Pilot Feasibility
- Calendar Events
- Dr. Weinsier's Festschrift
- Training Opportunities
- Funding Opportunities
- Watch Videos
- Contact Us
Jong-Eun Kim, PhD
|Research Associate Professor
Phone: (205) 975-5889, (205) 934-8460
Fax: (205) 975-7244
PhD; Aerospace Engineering; University of California, Davis; 2000
MS; Mechanical Engineering; Hanyang University, Korea; 1994
BS; Mechanical Engineering; Hanyang University, Korea; 1992
ME 686/786 : Design Optimization Techniques
Dr. Kim focuses on (1) Computational Injury Biomechanics to provide a more comprehensive understanding of injury mechanisms of human body exposed to high-speed impact environments such as motor vehicle crashes through numerical modeling and simulation, (2) Fluid Structure Interaction (FSI) to develop efficient and robust algorithms for a loosely-coupled fluid-structure interaction framework, and (3) Multidisciplinary Design Optimization (MDO) to develop an integrated design system by integrating the computational simulation and grid generation capabilities with a simulation based statistical multidisciplinary design optimization module to provide an optimum design that shortens the development period for new designs and improves current designs.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS (2008-2010)
- Kim, J. E. Influence of occupant restraint system on traumatic brain injuries, International Journal of Crashworthiness, 13(1), 25-39. (2008)
- Soni, B. K., Koomullil, R. P., Cheng, G., Shih, A. M., Kim, J. E. , Enabling technology tools for design of aerospace vehicles, Computational Fluid Dynamics Journal, 16(4), 336-345, (2008)
- Kim, Y. H, Kim, J. E. Ito, Y., Shih, A. M., Brott, B., Anayiotos, A. Hemodynamic analysis of a compliant femoral artery bifurcation model using a fluid structure interaction framework, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 36(11), 1753-1763, (2008)
- Kim, J. E. Rao, V. N., Koomullil, R. P., Ross, D. H., Soni, B. K., Shih, A. M., Development of an efficient aerodynamic shape optimization framework, Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, 79(8), 2373-2384, (2009)
- Kim, J. E. Li, Z., Ito, Y., Huber, C. D., Shih, A. M., Eberhardt, A. W., Yang, K. H., King, A. I., Soni, B. K. , Finite element model development of a child pelvis with optimization-based material identification, Journal of Biomechanics, 42(13), 2191-2195, (2009)
- Zhu, S., Kim, J. E. Ma, X., Shih, A. M., Laud, P. W., Pintar, F., Shen, W., Heymsfield, S. B., Allison, D. B. BMI and risk of serious upper body injury following motor vehicle crashes: Concordance of real-world and computer-simulated observations, PLoS Medicine, 7(3), e1000250, (2010).
RESEARCH FUNDING (2008-2010)
- “Obesity-related variables and motor vehicle injury”, Principal Investigator, National Institutes of Health through the Medical College of Wisconsin.
- “Development of age-dependent pediatric computational models,” Investigator, Southern Consortium for Injury Biomechanics.
- Center of expertise in pelvis model, Global Human Body Models Consortium, Investigator.
- “Vehicle dynamics & occupant kinematics of bus rollover crash,” Co-PI, Center for Injury Science.
- ”C omposite materials testing, experiments and modeling of field injuries,” Co-PI, Industry Sponsor.
- “Blast & impact resistant: Composite structures for navy ship,” Investigator, Naval Research Laboratory.
- “Thermoplastic composites for army applications,” Investigator, Army Research Laboratory.
- “Development of modules/components for fluid-structure interaction frame-work,” Investigator, DoD High Performance Computing Modernization Program through Mississippi State University.
Professional Service Journal Reviewer: Journal of Biomechanics, Journal of Aircraft (AIAA), International Journal of Crashworthiness, International Journal of Vehicle Systems Modeling and Testing.
Community Service Developed and provided a CSM (Computational Structural Mechanics) training program for high-school students
Vice President of the Korean-American Scientists and Engineers Association - Alabama Chapter