|Research Assistant Professor
Pharmacology and Toxicology
1918 18th Street South
McCallum Building Room 456
Birmingham, AL 35294-0005
Phone: (205) 996-2612
Fax: (205) 934-6944
B.Sc. in Chemistry, Tribhuvan University, Nepal; M.Sc. in Chemistry, Tribhuvan University, Nepal; Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Toyama Medical & Pharmaceutical University, Japan; Postdoctoral Fellow in Protein Chemistry, Biotechnology Research Institute, Montreal, Canada; Postdoctoral Fellow in Antibiotics Research, Inst. Phys. Chem Res., Japan; Postdoctoral Fellow in Botanicals/LC-MS at the University of Alabama at Birmingham
Metabolism and bioavailability of polyphenols, identification of bioactive novel natural products from microorganisms, mass spectrometric analysis of small molecules in biological samples.
- Prasain J.K., Wang C.-C., Barnes S. Mass spectrometric analysis of flavonoids in biological samples. Free Radical Biology & Medicine, 37: 1324-1350, 2004
- Prasain, J.K., Jones, K., Brissie, N., Moore, D.R. II, Wyss, J.M., Barnes, S. Identification of puerarin and its metabolites in rats by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry 52: 3708-3712, 2004.
- D'Alessandro T. Prasain J. Benton MR. Botting N. Moore R. Darley-Usmar V. Patel R. Barnes S. Polyphenols, inflammatory response, and cancer prevention: chlorination of isoflavones by human neutrophils. Journal of Nutrition. 133(11 Suppl 1):3773S-3777S, 2003.
- Prasain, J.K., Jones, K., Kirk, M., Wilson, L., Smith-Johnson, M., Weaver, C.M., Barnes, S. Identification and quantitation of isoflavonoids in Kudzu Dietary Supplements by HPLC and electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry, 51:4213-4218, 2003.
- Prasain JK. Patel R. Kirk M. Wilson L. Botting N. Darley-Usmar VM. Barnes S. Mass spectrometric methods for the analysis of chlorinated and nitrated isoflavonoids: a novel class of biological metabolites. Journal of Mass Spectrometry. 38:764-771, 2003.