Department of Medicine
Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 618
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 975-5704
Fax: (205) 934-7959
- Culturally-relevant behavioral interventions for:
(1) cancer prevention and control
(2) obesity prevention and treatment
- Minority health and health disparities
- Community-based Participatory Research
- Intersection of health and place
- Emory University School of Medicine, Pediatric Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1999-2000
- Georgia State University, Doctor of Philosophy, Counseling Psychology, 1999
- Emory University School of Medicine, Pre-doctoral Psychology Internship (APA Approved), 1998-1999
- Georgia State University, Master of Science in Community Counseling, 1994
- Emory University, Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Sociology, 1992
Professional Activities (Select)
- African American Collaborative Obesity Research Network (AACORN)
- American Heart Association (AHA)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Association for Prevention Teaching and Research (APTR)
- Society of Behavioral Medicine (SBM)
- The Obesity Society (TOS)
Service to Professional Associations
- Chair, Jefferson County Collaborative for Health Equity
- Chair, Health Action Partnership, Advancing Health Equity Priority Group
- Journal Review Board, American Journal of Health Behavior
- National Advisory Committee Member, Research in Academic Pediatrics Initiative on Diversity (RAPID)
- Planning Committee Member, Institutes of Medicine (IOM) Roundtable on Obesity Solutions
- Advisory Panel Member, Faith-Based Sector, US National Physical Activity Plan (NPAP) Alliance
- Member Delegate, Society of Behavioral Medicine (SBM)
In The News
Selected Recent Publications
- Baskin ML, Thind H, Gary L, Affuso O, LaGory M, Hwang S. Predictors of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity (MVPA) in African American young adolescents. Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2013; 45 suppl 1:S142-150. PMC4091819. DOI: 10.1007/s12160-012-9437-7
- DiSantis KI, Grier S, Odoms-Young A, Baskin M, Carter-Edwards L, Young DR, Lassiter V, Kumanyika SK. What “Price” means when buying food: Insights from a multisite qualitative study with Black Americans. Am J Public Health. 2013; 103(3): 516-22. DOI: 10.2105/AJPH.2012.301149.
- Dulin-Keita A, Thind HK, Affuso A, Baskin ML. The associations of perceived neighborhood disorder and physical activity with obesity among African American adolescents. BMC Public Health. 2013 May 4; 13(1): 440. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-13-440. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2458-13440
- Baskin ML, Herbey I, Williams R, Ard JD, Ivankova N, Odoms-Young A. Caregiver perceptions of the food marketing environment of African American 3-11 year olds: A qualitative study. Public Health Nutrition. 2013 Dec: 16(12): 2231-9. DOI: 10.1017/S1368980013001766.
- Thind H, Townsend S, Godsey E, Baskin ML. Physical activity resource attributes by neighborhood race/ethnicity in a southern US city. J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2014; Jan 7. DOI 10.1007/s40615-013-0004-0. DOI: 10.1007/s40615-013-0004-0.
- Carson TL, Hardy C, Greene E, Carter PL, James G, Partridge EE, Baskin ML. Considerations for biospecimen collection among black women residing in the rural Deep South. J Community Genet. 2014; 5(3): 257-63. PMC4059851. DOI: 10.1007/s12687-013-0178-5.
- Robinson JC, Carson TL, Johnson ER, Hardy CM, Shikany JM, Green E, Willis LM, Marron JV, Jr, Li Y, Lee CH, Baskin ML. Assessing environmental support for better health: Active living opportunity audits to decrease cancer disparities in rural communities in the Deep South. Prev Med. 2014; 66: 28-33. PMC4138048. DOI: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2014.05.021.
- Bennett GG, Steinberg DM, Stoute C, Lanpher, M, Lane, I, Askew S, Foley, PB, Baskin ML. Electronic health (eHealth) interventions for weight management among racial/ethnic minority adults: a systematic review. Obesity Reviews. 2014; 15(Suppl 4): 146-485. DOI: 10.1111/obr.12218.
- Johnson, ER, Carson TL, Affuso O, Hardy CM, Baskin, M. Social Support For Eating Habits And Exercise Among Overweight and Obese African American Women Residing in Rural Communities in the Deep South and Association with BMI. Prev Chronic Dis. 2011-2013. PMCID: PMC4279865. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd11.140340.
- Thind H, Goldsby TU, Dulin-Keita A, Baskin M.L. Cultural beliefs and physical activity among African American adolescents. Am J Health Behav. 2015; 39(2):285-94. DOI: 10.5993/AJHB.39.2.15.
- Carson TL, Desmond R, Hardy S, Townsend S, Young L, Ard JD, Meneses K, Partridge EE, Baskin ML. A study of the relationship between food group recommendations and perceived stress: Findings from black women living in the Deep South. J Obes. 2015; 2015:203164. DOI: 10.1155/2015/203164.
- Baskin, ML, Dulin-Keita A, Thind H, Godsey E. Social and cultural environment factors influencing physical activity among African American adolescents. J Adolesc Health. 2015; May 56(5): 536-42. DOI: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2015.01.012
- Umstattd Meyer R, Moore J, J, Abildso C, Edwards M, Gamble A, & Baskin ML. Rural Active Living: A Call to Action. Journal of Public Health Management & Practice; 2015; August [epub ahead of print]
- Partridge EE, Hardy C, Baskin ML, Fouad M, Willis L, James G, Wynn T. Shifting Community Based Participatory Infrastructure from Education/Outreach to Research: Challenges and Solutions. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action. 2015; 9 Suppl:33-9. [PMID: In progress]
- Lampard AM, Nishi A, Baskin ML, Carson, TL, Davison, KK. The Activity Support Scale for Multiple Groups (ACTS-MG): Child-reported physical activity parenting in African American and non-Hispanic White families. Behav Med. 2016; 42(2), 112-119. PMID: 25350015.
- 2016 Max Cooper Award for Excellence in Research, UAB Department of Medicine
- 2013 Rural Health Heroes Award, The University of Alabama Institute for Rural Health Research
- 2012 The Obesity Society Diversity Tour Abstract Winner
- 2007 Jefferson County Health Department Public Health Hero Award
- 2005 UAB Minority Health and Research Center, Charles Barkley Health Disparities Research Award
- 2005 UAB Clinical Nutrition Research Center Named New Investigator Award
- 2002-2006 National Institutes of Health, National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities Scholar Award
Current Research Projects
- Deep South Network for Cancer Control, Full Research Project (Evidence-based strategies supporting weight-loss among overweight African American women in the Deep South) - U54CA153719
- Promoting Weight Loss in African American Cancer Survivors in the Deep South - R01 CA160313-01A1
- Mid-South Transdiciplinary Collaborative Center for Health Disparities Research, Research Project 1 (Determinants of Gestational Weight gain in Overweight Women in the Deep South) - U54MD008176
- My Mommy and Me: A Head Start to Reducing Health Disparities - R24 MD008102
- The Role of Obesity in Maternal and Child Health Disparities in Jefferson County - R13HD077085