||The University of Alabama at Birmingham
Department of Nutrition Sciences
Nutrition Obesity Research Center
415 Webb Building
1675 University Blvd.
Birmingham, AL 35294
Phone: (205) 975-6226
Michelle M. Bohan Brown earned her Ph.D. from Iowa State University in 2010 with a major in Biochemistry and minor in Statistics. Her dissertation research focused on the effects of macronutrient and caloric content of the diet on circulating concentrations of ghrelin and other hormones involved in energy metabolism. During her dissertation research, she investigated these effects in multiple models including college age men and women, neonate calves, and lean and obese rats.
She is a postdoctoral trainee in the Nutrition and Obesity Research Center in the Department of Nutrition Sciences. The focus of her research is investigating the influences of interactions between important biological (e.g., weight, sex, genetics) and nutritional factors on obesity and metabolic outcomes. Currently, she is investigating the association of the interaction of genetic and ethnic background and dietary composition with obesity and metabolic outcomes in a multiethnic sample of children. In addition, she is involved in determining the effects of dietary composition on health outcomes in individuals with spinal cord injury. She has been involved in several projects investigating the impact of the fidelity of research on advice given with regards to weight loss and obesity.
- Brown AW, Bohan Brown MM, Allison DB. Belief beyond the evidence: using the proposed effect of breakfast on obesity to show 2 practices that distort scientific evidence. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2013;98(5):1298-1308. [PMID: 24004890]
- Fernandez JR, Pearson KE, Kell KP, Bohan Brown MM. Genetic admixture and obesity: recent perspectives and future applications. Human Heredity. 2013;75(2-4):98-105. [PMID: 24081225] [doi: 10.1159/000353180]
- Casazza K, Fontaine KR, Astrup A, Birch LL, Brown AW, Bohan Brown MM, Durant N, Dutton G, Foster EM, Heymsfield SB, McIver K, Mehta T, Menachemi N, Newby PK, Pate R, Rolls BJ, Sen B, Smith DL Jr, Thomas DM, Allison DB. Myths, presumptions, and facts about obesity. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;368(5):446-54. [doi:10.1056/NEJMsa1208051]
- Bohan Brown MM, Brown AW, Allison DB. Nutritional epidemiology in practice: learning from data or promulgating beliefs? American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2013;97(1):5-6. [PMID: 23221574] [PMCID: PMC3522139] [doi: 10.3945/ajcn.112.052472]
- Bohan, M., L. Anderson, A. Trenkle, and D. Beitz. 2007 Effect of nutrient composition of the diet on the variation of plasma hormone concentrations during waking hours in lean and overweight humans. FASEB J. 21:534.12.
- Bohan, M., L. Anderson, A. Trenkle, and D. C. Beitz. 2007. Nutrient regulation of plasma ghrelin concentration in lean and overweight male humans. FASEB J. 21:534.11.
- Brown, A., M. M. Bohan, K. L. Onken, and D. C. Beitz. 2007 Effects of Splenda® Brand Sweetener on plasma hormone and metabolite concentrations. FASEB J. 21:832.11.
- Bohan, M., M. Foote, B. Nonecke, and D.C. Beitz. 2006. Plane of nutrition affects appetite-related hormones in neonatal calves. FASEB J. 20:A171.
- Bohan, M., L. Anderson, A. Trenkle, and D.C. Beitz. 2006. Nutrient regulation of plasma ghrelin concentration in lean and overweight female humans. FASEB J. 20:A177.
- Brown, A. W., M. M. Bohan, N. Mehyar, A.H.Trenkle, and D.C. Beitz. 2006. Effects of TNF-α as a simulated stressor on adipose and liver tissues from rats fed varying diets. FASEB J. 20:A126.
- Bohan, M., G. Janda, L. Anderson, A. Trenkle, and D. Beitz. 2005. Effect of dietary macronutrients on appetite-related hormones in blood and body composition of lean and obese rats. FASEB J.
- Bohan, M., S. Zhang, A.L. McCLeary, E. Hammond, and D.C. Beitz. 2004. Metabolic responses of conjugated triene and diene fatty acids in golden Syrian hamsters. Abstract No. 30 of the 116th Annual Meeting of Iowa Acad. Sci.
- Wertz, A.E., T.J. Knight, A. Krueder, M. Bohan, D.C. Beitz, and A. Trenkle. 2004. Fluctuation of ghrelin and growth hormone in fed and fasted cattle. J Dairy Sci. 87 (Suppl. 1), J Dairy Sci. 82 (Suppl. 1), Poult Sci. 83 (Suppl. 1):194
- Bohan, M., S. Zhang, A. McCleary, R. Lamer, J. Verkade, E. Hammond and D.C. Beitz. 2003. Metabolic responses of trans-9, trans-11 and a mixture of conjugated linoleic acid isomers in golden Syrian hamsters FASEB J. 17:A807.
- Bohan, M., R. Sonon, G. Bobe, Y. Lu, T. Knight, A. Wertz, A. Trenkle, and D.C. Beitz. 2002. Effects of ghrelin injection on blood and body composition in rats. FASEB J. 16:A619.
Acknowledgement and Disclaimer
The trainee's projects are supported by Grant Number T32DK062710 from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases or the National Institutes of Health.
Years: 2011 - 2014
Mentor(s): José Fernández, PhD, David Allison, PhD, James Rimmer, PhD, and James Shikany, PhD
In May, 2014 completed her training with us and moved on to a position as Assistant Professor at Clemson University. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.