|Professor and Director
Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 621
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 934-4307
Fax: (205) 975-5153
Health disparities research with emphasis on cancer prevention and control
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Public Health, MPH, 1986
- Alexandria University School of Medicine, Alexandria, Egypt, MD, 1977
- 2009 - Present, Member, National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NCMHD) Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)/NCMHD Committee, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland
- 2008 - 2012, Member, National Advisory Council on Minority Health and Health Disparities of the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland
- 2005 - Present, Association for Prevention Teaching and Research (APTR) (formerly the Association of Teachers of Preventive Medicine (ATPM)
- 2004 - Present, International Society of Preventive Oncology (ISPO)
- 2004 - Present, American Society of Preventive Oncology (ASPO)
- 2001 - Present, American Public Health Association (APHA)
- 1999 - Present, International Society on Hypertension in Blacks, Inc. (ISHIB)
- 1998 - Present, American Association for Cancer Education (AACE)
- 1990 - Present, American Heart Association (AHA)
- 1988 - Present, Association of Black Cardiologists (ABC)
Selected Recent Publications
- Fouad MN, Partridge E, Wynn T, Green BL, Kohler C, Nagy S. Statewide Tuskegee Alliance For Clinical Trials: A community coalition to enhance minority participation in research. Cancer 91(1 Suppl):237-241, 2001.
- Fouad M, Funkhouser E, May D, Partridge E, Kiefe C: Physicians Variability in Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Practices within Same Clinics. Clin J Womens Health 1(2):59-68, 2001.
- Fouad MN, Corbie-Smith G, Curb D, Howard BV, Mouton C, Simon M, Talavera G, Thompson J, Wang CY, White C, Young R. Special populations recruitment for the Women’s Health Initiative: successes and limitations. Control Clin Trials 25:335-352, 2004.
- Fouad MN, Mayo CP, Funkhouser EM, Hall HI, Urban DA, Kiefe CI. Comorbidity independently predicted death in older prostate cancer patients, more of whom died with than from their disease. J Clin Epidemiol, 2004;57(7):720-728.
- Fouad MN, Nagy C, Johnson RE, Wynn TA, Partridge EE, Dignan M. The development of a community action plan to reduce breast and cervical cancer disparities between African-American and white women. Ethnic Dis, 2004:14(suppl 1):S1-54-S1-62.
- Partridge EE, Fouad MN, Hinton AW, Hardy CM, Liscovicz N, White-Johnson F, Higginbotham J. The Deep South Network for Cancer Control – Eliminating cancer disparities through community-academic collaboration. Fam Community Health, 2005;28(1):6-19.
- Fouad M, Partridge E, Dignan M, Holt C, Johnson R, Nagy C, Parham G, Person S, Scarinci I, Wynn T.A community-driven action plan to eliminate breast and cervical cancer disparity: successes and limitations. J Cancer Educ, 2006;21(Suppl.):S91-100.
- Fouad, MN. Enrollment of minorities in clinical trials: Did we overcome the barriers? Contemporary Clinical Trials, 2009;30:103-104.
- Fouad M, Wynn T, Martin, M, Partridge E. Patient navigation pilot project: results from the Community Health Advisors in Action Program (CHAAP). Ethn Dis, 2010 Spring;20(2):155-161.
- Laiyemo AO, Doubeni C, Pinsky PF, Doria-Rose VP, Bresalier R, Lamerato LE, Crawford ED, Kvale P, Fouad M, Hickey T, Riley T, Weissfeld J, Schoen RE, Marcus PM, Prorok PC, Berg CD. Race and colorectal cancer disparities: health-care utilization vs different cancer susceptibilities. J Natl Cancer Inst, 2010 April 21;102(8):538-546. PMCID: PMC2857802
- Hocking WG, Hu P, Lken MM, Winslow SD, Kvale PA, Prorock PC, Ragard LR, Lynch DA, Andriole G, Buys SS, Fouad M, Fuhrman C, Isaacs C, Yokochi L, Riley TL, Gohagan JK, Berg CD: for the PLCO Project Team. Lung Cancer Screening in the Randomized Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Cancer Screening Trial. J Natl Cancer Inst, 2010 May 19;102(10):1-10. PMCID: PMC2873186
- Fouad MN, Partridge E, Dignan M, Holt C, Johnson R, Nagy C, Person S, Wynn T, Scarinci I. Targeted intervention strategies to increase and maintain mammography utilization among African American Women. Am J Public Health, 2010 Dec;100(12):2526-31. PMID: 21068422
- Andriole GL, Crawford ED, Grubb RL 3rd, Buys SS, Chia D, Church TR, Fouad MN, Isaacs C, Kvale PA, Reding DJ, Weissfeld JL, Yokochi LA, O'Brien B, Ragard LR, Clapp JD, Rathmell JM, Riley TL, Hsing AW, Izmirlian G, Pinsky PF, Kramer BS, Miller AB, Gohagan JK, Prorok PC; for the PLCO Project Team. Prostate Cancer Screening in the Randomized Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial: Mortality Results after 13 Years of Follow-up. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012 Jan 18;104(2):125-132. PMCID: PMC3260132 [Available on 2013/1/18]
- 2008 Legacy Award Recipient for the Education Category, V.I.R.T.U.E., Inc., Birmingham, Alabama, March 2008
- 2008 UAB President's Diversity Faculty Award, University of Alabama at Birmingham, February 2008
- The Max Cooper Award for Excellence in Research for 2007, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, May 2007
- 2007 Woman of the Year, "Ordinary People Doing Extraordinary Things, Alabama Power Community Service Award" May 2007
- Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM) Fellowship, Nominated and selected by the SOM and the ELAM Program for Women to participate as a fellow in the 2006-2007 class
- Community Service Award in National Trends and Services for contributions in the area of improving health and preventing disease in minorities, The Links Incorporated Birmingham Chapter, February 2006
- 2006 Woman of Distinction Award, Girl Scouts of Cahaba Council, March 2006
- Top Birmingham Women of 2005, Birmingham Business Journal, October 2005
- Recognition of Excellence in Eliminating Health Disparities Award, American Medical Association's (AMA) Program on Health Disparities, April 2005
- Sullivan Best Practice Award in recognition of outstanding work to reduce health disparities in the United States, Association of Academic Health Centers (AHC), October 2004
- 2004 Odessa Woolfolk Community Service Award, April 2004
- University of Alabama Health Services Foundation (UAHSF) and UAB School of Medicine General Endowment Fund (GEF) Outstanding Award for the Recruitment and Retention Shared Facility proposal
- Clinical Practice Poster Award, Society of Gynecologic Oncology, February 2003
- Outstanding Poster Presentation Award, American College of Preventive Medicine, March 1997
- American Heart Association Film Documentary for abstract presented at the 63rd Scientific Session, November, 1990. American Heart Association Clinical Scientist Award, June 1990 (Finalist)
- Academic Scholarship from Alexandria University School of Medicine, 1970 - 1977.