- Courses and Events
- Core Facilities
- Pilot Feasibility
- Calendar Events
- Dr. Weinsier's Festschrift
- Training Opportunities
- Funding Opportunities
- Watch Videos
- Contact Us
Ryan Irvin, Ph.D., M.S.
Department of Epidemiology
Phone: (205) 975-7672
Dr. Irvin received a masters in biostatistics from the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) in Charleston and completed her doctoral degree in the Department of Epidemiology at UAB. She finalized her training in the UAB Section on Statistical Genetics as a postdoctoral fellow. Dr. Irvin joined the faculty at UAB in 2011. Her primary research interest is in pharmacogenetics of antihypertensive treatment with a focus on genetic risk for incident diabetes mellitus due to thiazide diuretic treatment and treatment resistant hypertension. Recent advancements in next-generation DNA sequencing technologies make sequencing the entire human genome accessible for patients in the forseeable future. Plus, the increasing use of electronic medical records will make unique aspects of an individual’s genetic make-up readily available to physicians. She aims to develop a program of research that will ultimately lead to the application of pharmacogenetics in the clinic for the optimization of antihypertensive treatment.
- pre 2010
- Peters U, North KE, Sethupathy P, Buyske S, Haessler J, Jiao S, Fesinmeyer MD, Jackson RD, Kuller LH, Rajkovic A, Lim U, Cheng I, Schumacher F, Wilkens L, Li R, Monda K, Ehret G, Nguyen KD, Cooper R, Lewis CE, Leppert M, Irvin MR, Gu CC, Houston D, Buzkova P, Ritchie M, Matise TC, Le Marchand L, Hindorff LA, Crawford DC, Haiman CA, Kooperberg C. A systematic mapping approach of 16q12.2/FTO and BMI in over 20,000 African Americans narrows in on the underlying functional variation: results from the Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) Study. PLoS Genet. 2013 Jan;9(1):e1003171 PMCID: PMC3547789
- Monda KL, Chen GK, Taylor KC, Palmer C, Edwards TL, et al. A Meta-Analysis Identifies New Loci Associated with Body Mass index in Individuals of African Ancestry. Nature Genetics March 2013 (In Press).
- Tanner RM, Calhoun DA, Bell EK, Bowling CB, Gutierrez OM, Irvin MR, Lackland DT, Oparil S, Warnock D, Muntner P. Prevalence of Apparent Treatment-Resistant Hypertension among Individuals with CKD. CJASN May 2013 (In Press).
- Liu CT et al. on behalf of the AAGILE Consortia. Genome-wide Association of Body Fat Distribution in African Ancestry Populations Suggests New Loci. PLOS Genetics June 2013 (In Press).
- Aslibekyan S, Kabagambe EK, Irvin MR, Straka RJ, Borecki IB, Tiwari HK, Tsai MY, Hopkins PN, Ordovas JM, Arnett DK. A genome-wide association study of inflammatory markers before and after fenofibrate treatment in Genetics of Lipid Lowering and Diet Network (GOLDN) participants. Pharmacogenetics and Genomics, Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2012 Mar;22(3):191-7. PMCID: PMC3275691
- Irvin MR, Zhang Q, Kabagambe EK, Perry RT, Straka RJ, Tiwari HK, Borecki IB, Shimmin LC, Stuart C, Zhong Y, Hixson JE, Arnett DK. Rare PPARA variants and extreme response to fenofibrate in the Genetics of Lipid Lowering Drugs and Diet Network Study. Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2012 May;22(5):367-72 PMCID: PMC3325369
- Zhi D, Irvin MR, Gu CC, Stoddard AJ, Lorier R, Matter A, Rao DC, Srinivasasainagendra V, Tiwari HK, Turner A, Broeckel U, Arnett DK. Whole-exome sequencing and an iPSC-derived cardiomyocyte model provides a powerful platform for gene discovery in left ventricular hypertrophy. Front Genet. 2012;3:92 PMCID: PMC3361011
- Lynch AI, Irvin MR, Boerwinkle E, Davis BR, Vaughan LK, Ford CE, Aissani B, Eckfeldt JH, Arnett DK, Shrestha S. RYR3 gene polymorphisms and cardiovascular disease outcomes in the context of antihypertensive treatment. Pharmacogenetics J. 2012 (e-published ahead of print) PMCID: PMC3435442
- Aslibekyan S, An P, Frazier-Wood AC, Kabagambe EK, Irvin MR, Straka RJ, Tiwari HK, Tsai MY, Hopkins PN, Borecki IB, Ordovas JM, Arnett DK. Preliminary evidence of genetic determinants of adiponectin response to fenofibrate in the Genetics of Lipid Lowering Drugs and Diet Network. Nutrition, Metabolism, and Cardiovascular Disease, 2012 pii: S0939-4753(12)00189-5 PMCID: PMC3578131
- Irvin MR, Shimbo D, Mann DM, Reynolds K, Krousel-Wood M, Limdi NA, Lackland DT, Calhoun DA, Oparil S, Muntner P. Prevalence and correlates of low medication adherence in apparent treatment resistant hypertension. J Clin Hypertens. 2012 14(10):694-700 PMCID: PMC3464920.
- Aslibekyan S, Goodarzi MO, Frazier-Wood AC, Yan X, Irvin MR, Kim E, Tiwari HK, Guo X, Straka RJ, Taylor KD, Tsai MY, Hopkins PN, Korenman SG, Borecki IB, Chen YI, Ordovas JM, Rotter JI, Arnett DK. Variants identified in a GWAS meta-analysis for blood lipids are associated with lipid response to fenofibrate. PloS ONE 2012 7(10):e48663 PMCID: PMC3485381
- Zhang Q, Irvin MR, Arnett DK, Province MA, Borecki I. A data-driven method for identifying rare variants with heterogeneous trait effects. Genet Epidemiol. 2011 Nov; 35(7):679-85 PMCID: PMC3201701
- Irvin MR, Wineinger NE, Rice TK, Pajewski NM, Kabagambe EK, Gu CC3, Pankow J, North KE, Wilk JB, Freedman BI, Franceschini N, Broeckel U, Tiwari HK, Arnett DK. Genome-wide detection of allele specific copy number variation associated with insulin resistance in African Americans from the HyperGEN study. PloS ONE 2011 Aug 15; 6(8): 1-6. PMCID: PMC3162025
- Shrestha S, Irvin MR, Taylor KD, Wiener HW, Pajewski NM, Haritunians T, Delaney JA, Schambelan M, Polka JF, Arnett DK, Chen YD, Grunfeld C. A genome-wide association study of carotid atherosclerosis in HIV-infected men AIDS 2010, 24:000–000. PMCID: PMC3072760
- Irvin MR, Kabagambe EK, Tiwari, HK, Parnell LD, Straka RJ, Tsai MY, Ordovas, JM , Arnett DK. Apolipoprotein E polymorphisms and postprandial triglyceridemia before and after fenofibrate treatment in the GOLDN Study. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2010 Oct 1;3(5):462-7 PMCID: PMC3119521
- Irvin MR, Lynch AI, Kabagambe EK, Tiwari HK, Barzilay JI, Eckfeldt JH, Eric Boerwinkle E, Davis BR, Ford CE, Arnett DK. Pharmacogenetic association of hypertension candidate genes with fasting glucose in the GenHAT Study. J Hypertens. 2010 Oct;28(10):2076-83 PMCID: PMC2957368
- Strange C, Dickson MR*, Carter C, Carpenter MJ, Holladay B, Lundquist R, Brantly ML. Genetic testing for alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency. Genet Med. 2004 Jul-Aug; 6(4):204-10.1
- Dickson MR*, Perry RT, Wiener H, Go RC. Association Studies of transforming growth factor beta 1 and Alzheimer’s Disease. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2005 Nov 5; 139(1):38-41.1
- Strange C, Stoller JK, Sandhaus RA, Dickson R*, Turino G. Results of a survey with alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency. Respiration. 2006 Aug 3; 73(2):185-90.
- Carpenter MJ, Strange C, Jones Y, Dickson MR*, Carter C, Moseley MA, Gilbert GE. Does genetic testing result in behavioral health change? Changes in smoking behavior following testing for alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency. Ann Behav Med. 2007 Feb;33(1):22-8.1
- Dickson MR*, Li J, Wiener H, Perry RT, Blacker D, Bassett SS, Go R C.P. A Genomic Scan for Age at Onset of Alzheimer’s Disease in 437 Families from the NIMH Genetic Initiative. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2008 Sep 5;147B(6):784-92.1
- Dickson MR*, Carter CL, Carpenter MJ, McClure RL, McGee DA, Zapka JG, Strange C. Barriers to genetic testing among persons at risk for alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency. Genet Test. 2008 Dec;12(4):501-5.1
- Wiener HW, Klei L, Irvin MR, Perry RT, Aliyu MH, Allen TB, Bradford LD, Calkins ME, Devlin B, Edwards N, Gur RE, Gur RC, Kwentus J, Lyons PD, McEvoy JP, Nasrallah HA, Nimgaonkar VL, O'Jile J, Santos AB, Savage RM, Go RC. Linkage Analysis of Schizophrenia in African-American Families. Scz Res. 2009 Apr;109(1-3):70-9. PMCID: PMC27213271
- Irvin MR, Wiener HW, Perry RP, Savage RM, Go RC. Genetic risk factors for type 2 diabetes with pharmacologic intervention in African-American patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. Schizophr Res. 2009 Oct;114(1-3):50-6 PMCID: PMC2753171