Department of Psychiatry
Charles B. Ireland Professor & Vice Chair for Research
SC 1026 Zip 0017
Dr. Shelton attended medical school at the University of Louisville in Kentucky. He, then, travelled to Boston, MA, where he became a resident and, then, Chief Resident at the Massachusetts Mental Health Center (now the Longwood Program), a teaching hospital of the Harvard Medical School. After residency, he was a research fellow at the National Institutes of Mental Health Intramural Program in Washington, D.C. before entering the faculty at Vanderbilt University in 1985. There he rose through the ranks to become the James G. Blakemore Research Professor and Vice Chair for Clinical Research in the Department of Psychiatry. He also became a professor in the Departments of Psychology and Pharmacology. Dr. Shelton joined the faculty of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurobiology at the University of Alabama at Birmingham in February, 2012 as the Charles Byron Ireland Professor, Vice Chair for Research, and head of a newly formed Mood Disorders Research Center.
Clinical Interests: Depression and Bipolar Disorder Dr. Shelton’s clinical specialization is adult patients with mood disorders, including depression and bipolar disorder. Research Interests: Dr. Shelton’s research is on the causes and treatments of depression and bipolar disorder. He has a wide range of research activities, ranging from basic laboratory science to translational research linking lab to the clinic, to clinical investigations of new treatments for these common and serious conditions. The thrust of the program is experimental therapeutics – the search for new and better treatments.
- Clinical and Health Outcomes Initiative in Comparative Effectiveness for Bipolar Disorder (Bipolar CHOICE): A pragmatic trial of complex treatment for a complex disorder. Nierenberg AA, Sylvia LG, Leon AC, Reilly-Harrington NA, Shesler LW, McElroy SL, Friedman ES, Thase ME, Shelton RC, Bowden CL, Tohen M, Singh V, Deckersbach T, Ketter TA, Kocsis JH, McInnis MG, Schoenfeld D, Bobo WV, Calabrese JR; the Bipolar CHOICE Study Group.
Clin Trials. 2013 Dec 17. 24346608
- Metabolic stress-induced microRNA and mRNA expression profiles of human fibroblasts. Kálmán S, Garbett KA, Vereczkei A, Shelton RC, Korade Z, Mirnics K. Exp Cell Res. 2014 Jan 15;320(2):343-53. doi: 10.1016/j.yexcr.2013.10.019. Epub 2013 Nov 16.
- The effect of regulatory advisories on maternal antidepressant prescribing, 1995-2007: an interrupted time series study of 228,876 pregnancies. Bobo WV, Epstein RA Jr, Hayes RM, Shelton RC, Hartert TV, Mitchel E, Horner J, Wu P. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2013 Oct 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- BDNF, interleukin-6, and salivary cortisol levels in depressed patients treated with desvenlafaxine. Ninan PT, Shelton RC, Bao W, Guico-Pabia CJ. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2014 Jan 3;48:86-91. doi: 10.1016/j.pnpbp.2013.09.016. Epub 2013 Oct 2.
- Association of exercise with quality of life and mood symptoms in a comparative effectiveness study of bipolar disorder. Sylvia LG, Friedman ES, Kocsis JH, Bernstein EE, Brody BD, Kinrys G, Kemp DE, Shelton RC, McElroy SL, Bobo WV, Kamali M, McInnis MG, Tohen M, Bowden CL, Ketter TA, Deckersbach T, Calabrese JR, Thase ME, Reilly-Harrington NA, Singh V, Rabideau DJ, Nierenberg AA. J Affect Disord. 2013 Nov;151(2):722-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2013.07.031. Epub 2013 Aug 16. 23993440
- Webb CA, Derubeis RJ, Hollon SD, Dimidjian S, Amsterdam JD, Shelton RC. Convergence and divergence in the delivery of cognitive therapy in two randomized clinical trials. Behav Res Ther 51(8):493-8, 2013. 23792178
- Preston TC, Shelton RC. Treatment resistant depression: strategies for primary care. Curr Psychiatry Rep 15:370, 2013. 23712721
- Fournier JC, DeRubeis RJ, Hollon SD, Gallop R, Shelton RC, Amsterdam JD. Differential change in specific depressive symptoms during antidepressant medication or cognitive therapy. Behav Res Ther 51:392-8, 2013. 23644038
- Callahan ST, Fuchs DC, Shelton RC, Balmer LS, Dudley JA, Gideon PS, Deranieri MM, Stratton SM, Williams CL, Ray WA, Cooper WO. Identifying suicidal behavior among adolescents using administrative claims data. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 22:769-75, 2013. 23412882
- Papakostas GI, Vitolo OV, Ishak WW, Rapaport MH, Zajecka JM, Kinrys G, Mischoulon D, Lipkin SH, Hails KA, Abrams J, Ward SG, Meisner A, Schoenfeld DA, Shelton RC, Winokur A, Okasha MS, Bari MA, Fava M. A 12-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, sequential parallel comparison trial of ziprasidone as monotherapy for major depressive disorder. J Clin Psychiatry 73:1541-7, 2012.
- Papakostas G.I., Shelton R.C., Zajecka J.M., Etemad B., Rickels K., Clain A., Baer L., Dalton E.D., Schoenfeld D., Pencina M., Meisner A., Bottiglieri T., Nelson E., Mischoulon D., Alpert J.E., Barbee J.G., Lydiard B., Zisook S., Fava M. l-methylfolate as adjunctive therapy for selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor-resistant major depressive disorder: results of two randomized, double-blind, parallel-sequential trials. American Journal of Psychiatry 169:1267-1274, 2012. 23212058
- Epstein RA, Bobo WV, Shelton RC, Arbogast PG, Morrow JA, Wang W, Chandrasekhar R, Cooper WO. Increasing use of atypical antipsychotics and anticonvulsants during pregnancy. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 22:794-801, 2013. 23124892
- Shelton R.C. Does concomitant use of NSAIDs reduce the effectiveness of antidepressants? (Editorial). Am J Psychiatry 169:1012-1015, 2012. 23032377
- Gibson SA, Korade Z, Shelton RC. Oxidative stress and glutathione response in tissue cultures from persons with major depression. Journal of Psychiatric Research 46:1326-1332, 2012. 22841833
- Treadway M.T., Buckholtz J.W., Cowan R.L., Woodward N.D., Li R., Ansari M.S., Baldwin R.M., Schwartzman A.N., Smith C.E., Bossaller N.A., Shelton R.C., Kessler R.M., Zald D.H. Effort-based decision-making in major depressive disorder: a translational model of motivational anhedonia. Journal of Abnormal Psychology 121:553-558, 2012. 22775583
- Hayes R.M., Wu P., Shelton R.C., Cooper W.O., Dupont W.D., Mitchel E., Hartert T.V. Maternal antidepressant use and adverse outcomes: a cohort study of 228,876 pregnancies. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 207:49.e1-9, 2012. 22727349
- Webb C., DeRubeis R., Dimidjian S., Hollon S., Amsterdam J., Shelton R. Predictors of patient cognitive therapy skills and symptom change in two randomized clinical trials: The role of therapist adherence and the therapeutic alliance. J Consult Clin Psychol 80:373-381, 2012. 22468907