Division of Preventive Medicine
Department of Medicine
University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB)
Business Address: Medical Towers 639
1720 2nd Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35294-4410
I am an epidemiologist with additional training and expertise in the development and implementation of behavioral weight control interventions for Black women. My research focuses on examining and intervening upon psychosocial factors related to obesity among Black women. I am also interested in exploring bio-behavioral aspects of obesity and obesity-related diseases such as cancer. For example, my current funded research is focusing on the relationship between stress, obesity, race, and the microbiome among black and white women in the Deep South. Based on the findings, we will have a better understanding of the role of stress, race, and the microbiome in weight control and related co-morbidities of black and white women.
||Field of Study
|Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
|Univ of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham,AL
|Univ of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham,AL
|Univ of AR for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR
||Hlth Behav & Hlth Educ
Positions and Employment
||Assistant Professor, Division of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, UAB
||Associate Scientist, Comprehensive Cancer Center Cancer Control and Population Sciences Program, UAB
||Associate Scientist, Nutrition Obesity Research Center, UAB
||Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, Fay W. Boozman College of Public Health, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
||Pre-doctoral Fellow, Ruth Kirschstein National Research Service Award pre-doctoral fellowship, NIH/NIDDK F31DK08397, Department of Nutrition Sciences, UAB School of Health Professions
- 2013-2015: NIH Health Disparities Loan Repayment Program award recipient
- 2013: UAB Health Disparities Research Training Program Scholar
- 2012: NHLBI Summer Institute on Randomized Behavioral Clinical Trials Fellow
- 2011: Diversity Tour Winning Abstract at the Obesity Society Annual Meeting
- 2011: Selected and awarded travel stipend to attend 5th Annual Robert Wood Johnson Foundation New Connections Symposium
- 2010: Ruth Kirschstein National Research Service Award
- 2009: Golden Key International Honor Society
- 2009: Who’s Who in America 2009 Edition
- 1998-2002: National Merit Achievement Scholar, Florida State University
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
- The Obesity Society
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Member
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- African American Collaborative Obesity Research Network (AACORN), Affiliate Member
- Cox TL, Krukowski RA, Love SJ, Eddings KE, DiCarlo M, Chang JY, Prewitt TE, West DS (2013). Stress management augmented behavioral weight loss intervention for African American women: A pilot study. Health Education & Behavior, 40(1):78-87.
- Ard, J., Zunker, C., Hu, Q., Cox, T., Wingo, B., Jefferson, W., Shewchuk, R. (2013). Cultural perceptions of weight in African American and Caucasian women. American Journal of Health Behavior, 37(1): 3-13.
- Carson TL, Eddings KE, Krukowski RA, Love SJ, Harvey-Berino J, West DS. Examining social influence on participation and outcomes among of a network of behavioral weight loss intervention enrollees. Journal of Obesity. 2013; Volume 2013, Article ID 480630, 8 pages http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/480630.
- Affuso O, Kaiser K, Carson TL, Ingram K, Robertson H, Abbas F, Allison DB. Association of run-in periods on weight loss in obesity randomized controlled trials. Obesity Reviews. (in press)
- Carson TL, Hidalgo B, Ard JD, Affuso O. Dietary interventions and quality of life: A systematic review of the literature. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. (in press)
- Davison, K.K., Li, K., Baskin, M.L., Cox, T.L., Affuso, O. Measuring parental support for children’s physical activity in white and African American parents: The Activity Support Scale for Multiple Groups (ACTS-MG). Preventive Medicine. 2011;52:39-43. [PMCID: PMC3022380]
- Affuso O, Cox TL, Durant NH, Allison DB. Attitudes and Beliefs Associated with Leisure-Time Physical Activity among African American Adults. Ethnicity and Disease. 2011;21:63-67. [PMCID: PMC3074974]
- Cox, T. L., Zunker, C., Wingo, B. C., Jefferson, W. K., & Ard, J. D. (2011). Stressful life events and behavior change: A qualitative examination of African American women’s participation in a weight loss program. The Qualitative Report, 16(3),622-634. Retrieved from http://www.nova.edu/ssss/QR/QR16-3/cox.pdf.
- Zunker, C., Cox, T.L., Rutt, C.D., Ard, J.D., Ivankova, N.V., & Baskin, M.L. (2011). Maintaining healthy behaviors following weight loss: A grounded theory approach. Journal of Ethnographic and Qualitative Research, 5, 186-204.
- Cox TL, Ard JD, Beasley TM, Fernandez JR, Howard VJ, Affuso O (2011). Body image as a mediator of the relationship between body mass index and weight-related quality of life in black women. Journal of Women’s Health, 20(10),1573-1578. [PMCID: PMC3186445]
- Cox TL, Ard JD, Beasley TM, Fernandez JR, Howard VJ, Kolotkin R, Crosby R, Affuso O (2011). Examining the association between body mass index and weight-related quality of life in black and white women. Applied Research in Quality of Life, 7(3) 309-322.
- Cox TL, Zunker C, Wingo BC, Thomas DM, Ard JD. Body image and quality of life in a group of African American women. Social Indicators Research, 2010; 99:531-540.
- Ard, J.D., Chaney, S., Desmond, R., Sutton, B., Cox, T.L., Butsch, W.S., Allison, D.B., Franklin, F., & Baskin, M.L. Fruit and vegetable pricing by demographic factors in the Birmingham, Alabama metropolitan area. Preventing Chronic Disease, July 2010;7(4):A78. PMCID: PMC2901576.
- Ard, JD, Cox TL, Zunker C, Wingo BC, Jefferson WK, Brakhage C. A study of a culturally enhanced EatRight dietary intervention in a predominately African American workplace. Journal of Public Health Management & Practice. 2010;16(6):E1-E8.
- Cox TL, Malpede CZ, Desmond RA, Faulk LE, Myer RA, Henson CS, Heimburger DC, Ard, JD. Physical activity patterns during weight maintenance following a low-energy density dietary intervention. Obesity, May 2007;1220-32.
- Zunker, C., Cox, T.L., Wingo, B.C., Knight, B., Jefferson, W.K., & Ard, J.D. Using formative research to develop a worksite health promotion program for African American women. Women & Health, 48 (2), 2008;189 - 207.