- Courses and Events
- Core Facilities
- Pilot Feasibility
- Calendar Events
- Dr. Weinsier's Festschrift
- Training Opportunities
- Funding Opportunities
- Watch Videos
- Contact Us
Tapan Mehta, Ph.D.
Department of Physical Therapy
Nutrition Obesity Research Center
School of Health Professions 370
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, AL 35294
Phone: (205) 975-9171
Dr. Mehta is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Physical Therapy and an associate scientist with the Nutrition Obesity Research Center. He will direct and lead the statistical analysis and design of the UAB/Lakeshore Research collaborative in the area of disability and rehabilitation sciences. Dr. Mehta’s interests lie in aggregating and integrating silos of genomic, epidemiological and administrative data, to investigate interesting scientific questions, through novel applications of statistical methods and computing platforms. He is especially interested in pursuing scientific inquiry in topics related to obesity, longevity, disability, and health policy and interventions.
Dr. Mehta completed his doctoral degree in Biostatistics at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) in 2013 under the mentorship of Dr. David B. Allison. His dissertation involved evaluating methodological and empirical issues in evaluating the apparent decline in obesity-mortality association over calendar time. He has worked as a full-time computing professional, biostatistician and data scientist at the School of Public Health, UAB for 8+ years. During this time, he has led and collaborated in a variety of health-related analytic projects including obesity-related epidemiological studies and a variety of genomic projects. His responsibilities included managing and conducting data analyses and methodology development projects, provide sound high performance computing and software engineering support, and author manuscripts as well as grant progress reports. Dr. Mehta also has a M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering (2004) from the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) with a specialization in software engineering and data mining. His thesis topic was about evaluating the stability of clustering algorithms when applied to high dimensional microarray data.
- Mehta T, Fontaine KR, Keith SW, Bangalore SS, PhD, de los Campos G, Bartolucci A, Pajewski NM, Allison, DB. Obesity and Mortality: Are the Risks Declining? Evidence from Eighteen Prospective Studies in the U.S. (Revise and resubmit).
- Mehta T, McCubrey R, Pajewski NM, Keith SW, Crespo CJ, Allison DB, Fontaine KR. Does Obesity Associate with Mortality among Hispanic Persons?: Results from the National Health Interview Survey. (Accepted in Obesity).
- Casazza K, Fontaine KR, Astrup A, Birch LL, Brown AW, Bohan Brown MM, Durant N, Dutton G, Foster EM, Heymsfield SB, McIver K, Mehta T, Menachemi N, Newby PK, Pate R, Rolls BJ, Sen B, Smith DL Jr, Thomas DM, Allison DB. Myths, presumptions, and facts about obesity. N Engl J Med. 2013 Jan 31;368(5):446-54. [doi: 10.1056/NEJMsa1208051]
- Duarte CW, Willey CD, Zhi D, Cui X, Harris JJ, Vaughan LK, Mehta T, McCubrey RO, Khodarev NN, Weichselbaum RR, Gillespie GY. Expression Signature of IFN/STAT1 Signaling Genes Predicts Poor Survival Outcome in Glioblastoma Multiforme in a Subtype-Specific Manner. PLoS One. 2012;7(1):e29653. Epub 2012 Jan 5. [PMID: 22242177] [PMCID: PMC3252343]
- Jarboe JS, Anderson JC, Duarte CW, Mehta T, Nowsheen S, Hicks PH, Whitley AC, Rohrbach TD, McCubrey RO, Chiu S, Burleson TM, Bonner JA, Gillespie GY, Yang ES, Willey CD. MARCKS regulates growth and radiation sensitivity and is a novel prognostic factor for glioma. Clin Cancer Res. 2012 Jun 1;18(11):3030-41. [doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-11-3091] Epub 2012 May 22.
- Keith SW, Fontaine KR, Pajewski NM, Mehta T, Allison DB. Use of self-reported height and weight biases the body mass index-mortality association. International Journal of Obesity, 2011. Mar;35(3):401-408. [PMID: 20680015]
- Miller SJ, Jessen WJ, Mehta T, Hardiman A, Sites E, Kaiser S, Jegga AG, Li H, Upadhyaya M, Giovannini M, Muir D, Wallace MR, Lopez E, Serra E, Nielsen GP, Lazaro C, Stemmer-Rachamimov A, Page G, Aronow BJ, Ratner N. Integrative genomic analyses of neurofibromatosis tumours identify SOX9 as a biomarker and survival gene. EMBO Mol Med. 2009 Jul;1(4):236-48. [PMID: 20049725]
- Feugang JM, Kaya A, Page GP, Chen L, Mehta T, Hirani K, Nazareth L, Topper E, Gibbs R, Memili E. Two-stage genome-wide association study identifies integrin beta 5 as having potential role in bull fertility. BMC Genomics. 2009 Apr 24;10:176. [PMID: 19393042] [PMCID: PMC2684547]
- Guimbellot JS, Erickson SW, Mehta T, Wen H, Page GP, Sorscher EJ, Hong JS. Correlation of microRNA levels during hypoxia with predicted target mRNAs through genome-wide microarray analysis. BMC Med Genomics. 2009 Mar 25;2:15.[PMID:19320992] [ PMCID: PMC2667434]
- Chen L, Page GP, Mehta T, Feng R, Cui X. Single nucleotide polymorphisms affect both cis- and trans-eQTLs. Genomics. 2009 Feb 25. [Epub ahead of print] [PMID: 19248827]
- Ioannidis JP, Allison DB, Ball CA, Coulibaly I, Cui X, Culhane AC, Falchi M, Furlanello C, Game L, Jurman G, Mangion J, Mehta T, Nitzberg M, Page GP, Petretto E, van Noort V. Repeatability of published microarray gene expression analyses. Nat Genet. 2009 Feb;41(2):149-55. Epub 2008 Jan 28. [PMID: 19174838]
- Srinivasasainagendra V, Page GP, Mehta T, Coulibaly I, Loraine AE. CressExpress: a tool for large-scale mining of expression data from Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2008 Jul;147(3):1004-16. Epub 2008 May 8. [PMID: 18467456]
- Page GP, Zakharkin SO, Kim K, Mehta T, Chen L, Zhang K. Microarray analysis. Methods Mol Biol. 2007;404:409-30. Review. [PMID: 18450061]
- Falk CT, Finch SJ, Kim W, Mukhopadhyay ND, Gong B, Hinrichs A, Li X, Liu X, Malhotra A, Mehta T, Page G, Rao S, Saccone N, Shete S, Yang Y, Yu R, Zhao JH, Zhou X. Data mining of RNA expression and DNA genotype data: presentation group 5 contributions to Genetic Analysis Workshop 15. Genet Epidemiol. 2007;31 Suppl 1:S43-50. [PMID: 18046764]
- Yi N, Shriner D, Banerjee S, Mehta T, Pomp D, Yandell BS. An efficient Bayesian model selection approach for interacting quantitative trait loci models with many effects. Genetics. 2007 Jul;176(3):1865-77. Epub 2007 May 4. [PMID: 17483424]
- Yandell BS, Mehta T, Banerjee S, Shriner D, Venkataraman R, Moon JY, Neely WW, Wu H, von Smith R, Yi N. R/qtlbim: QTL with Bayesian Interval Mapping in experimental crosses. Bioinformatics. 2007 Mar 1;23(5):641-3. Epub 2007 Jan 19. [PMID: 17237038]
- Mehta TS, Zakharkin SO, Gadbury GL, Allison DB. Epistemological issues in omics and high-dimensional biology: give the people what they want. Physiol Genomics. 2006 Dec 13;28(1):24-32. Epub 2006 Sep 12. [PMID: 16968808]
- 9: Wei H, Persson S, Mehta T, Srinivasasainagendra V, Chen L, Page GP, Somerville C, Loraine A. Transcriptional coordination of the metabolic network in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2006 Oct;142(2):762-74. Epub 2006 Aug 18. [PMID: 16920875]
- Zakharkin SO, Kim K, Mehta T, Chen L, Barnes S, Scheirer KE, Parrish RS, Allison DB, Page GP. Sources of variation in Affymetrix microarray experiments. BMC Bioinformatics. 2005 Aug 29;6:214. [PMID: 16124883]
- Trivedi P, Edwards JW, Wang J, Gadbury GL, Srinivasasainagendra V, Zakharkin SO, Kim K, Mehta T, Brand JP, Patki A, Page GP, Allison DB. HDBStat!: a platform-independent software suite for statistical analysis of high dimensional biology data. BMC Bioinformatics. 2005 Apr 6;6:86. [PMID: 15813968]
- Mehta T, Tanik M, Allison DB. Towards sound epistemological foundations of statistical methods for high-dimensional biology. Nat Genet. 2004 Sep;36(9):943-7. [PMID: 15340433]