Pre-Doctoral Training in Obesity-Related Research
RESEARCH FUNDING ANNOUNCEMENT 2014
2014 RFA Predoc Training Program (PDF )
The Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) at the University of Alabama at Birmingham announces the availability of pre-doctoral fellowships funded through the NIH T32 grant (T32HL105349) awarded by the Heart, Lung and Blood Disease Institute (NHLBI). The funds from this grant may be used only for US Citizens or permanent residents. In very rare cases we are able to identify additional funds for the exceptional applicant who is neither a US Citizen nor permanent resident, but this is a rarity.
Positions entail working collaboratively with an interdisciplinary group of scientists. The NORC studies virtually all aspects of obesity ranging from molecular biology to epidemiology. Investigators include molecular biologists, physicians, psychologists, statisticians, physiologists, epidemiologists, and nutritionists. Faculty mentors include:
- Doctoral student in good standing at UAB (All disciplines are invited to apply).
- Be midway through 1st year in a PhD program and prepared to enter 2nd year of training in August.
- US citizens or permanent residents.
- A long-term plan and expectation to work as an independent investigator in obesity-research.
- Commit to meet all obligations of the training program (link )
- Student will either approach a mentor or mentor will ask student about creating a research relationship, or either can seek guidance from Program Directors to be matched with a potentially interested counterpart.
- Student and Mentor together apply for entry into the program, forming the full mentoring team according to the requirement for disciplinary domain diversity (link ). Applications are due Friday, June 6, 2014.
- Applicants will be notified by June 24, 2014.
Send all of these materials to firstname.lastname@example.org  by June 6, 2014.
Women, individuals from traditionally disadvantaged groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Interested individuals may contact one of the Program Directors with questions.
UAB is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer