The University of Alabama at Birmingham
Department of Human Studies
EB Building, 1720 2nd Ave South
Birmingham, AL 34294-1250
Phone: (205) 975-5664
Fax: (205) 934-7050
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org 
Full CV 
Dr. Gordon Fisher is an assistant professor in the Department of Human Studies with a secondary appointment in the Department of Nutrition Sciences. He is also an associate scientist with the Nutrition and Obesity Research Center and the Center for Exercise Medicine. Dr. Fisher received his Ph.D. from Auburn University, training in the areas of exercise physiology, oxidative stress and post-exercise immune function. He continued his academic training at the University of Alabama Birmingham Nutrition and Obesity Research Center in the Department of Nutrition Sciences as a postdoctoral fellow focusing on the role of mitochondrial bioenergetics, reactive oxygen species and markers of inflammation in the pathogenesis of metabolic and cardiovascular diseases, under the mentorship of Dr's Barbara Gower and Gary Hunter.
Dr. Fisher’s main research interest is developing nutritional and behavioral strategies that can reduce the prevalence of metabolic and cardiovascular complications that are associated with type 2 diabetes. He is specifically interested in determining the role in which mitochondrial bioenergetics dysfunction, excess reactive oxygen species production, and low-grade chronic inflammation contribute towards the pathogenesis of metabolic and cardiovascular diseases.
- Hunter, G.R., Neumeier, W.H., Bickel, C.S., McCarthy, J.P., Fisher, G., Chandler-Laney, P., and Glasser, S.P. Arterial elasticity, strength, fatigue, and endurance in older women. BioMed Research International. In Press 2013.
- Neeraj, S. Hunter, G.R., Fisher, G., Brock, D.W. Resting energy expenditure and systolic blood pressure relationships in women across 4.5 years. Journal of Clinical Hypertension. In Press 2013.
- Khoshkhahesh, F., Siahkuhain, M., Fisher, G., and Nakhostin-Roo, B. Influence of a low-dose COX-2 inhibitor drug on exercise induced inflammation, muscle damage, and lipid peroxidation. Jan; 30: 61-65, 2013.
- Hunter, G.R., Bickel, C.S., Fisher, G., Neumier, W.H., and McCarthy, J.P. Frequency of combined aerobic and resistance training and non-training activity related energy expenditure in older women. Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise. In Press, 2013.
- Hwang, Y.G., Hsu, H.C, Lim, F.C., Wu, Q., Yang, P.A., Fisher, G., Hunter, G.R., and Mountz, J.D. Increased Vitamin D is Associated with Decline of Naïve but Accumulation of Effector CD8 T Cells During Early Aging. Advances in Aging Research. In Press 2013.
- Gwenael, L., Hopker, J., Coen, P.M., Hunter, G.R., Ferguson, R.A., Kazushige, S., Malatesta, D., Minettie, A.E., Rice, C.L., Manini, T.M., Trinity, J.D., Hart, C.R., Passfield, L., Conley, K.E., Fisher, G., Maffiulettie, N.A., Borrani, F., Dalton, B.H., McNeil, C.J., and Power, G.A. Commentaries on Point: Counterpoint: Skeletal muscle mechanical efficiency does/does not increase with age. Journal of Applied Physiology. April; 114: 1114-1118, 2013.
- Fisher, G., Hunter, G.R., and Allison, D.B. Commentary: Physical activity does influence obesity risk when it actually occurs in sufficient amount. International Journal of Epidemiology. In Press, 2013.
- Hamilton, K., Fisher, G., Roy, J., Gower, B.A., and Hunter, G.R. he effects of weight loss on relative bone mineral density in premenopausal women. Obesity. Mar;21(3):441-8, 2013. [PMID: 23404937 ] [PMCID: PMC3630243] [doi: 10.1002/oby.20052]
- Fisher, G., Hunter, G.R., and Glasser, S.P. Associations between arterial elasticity and markers of inflammation in healthy older women. Journal of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences. Apr;68(4):382-8. 2013. PMID: 22987795 ] [PMCID: PMC3593615] [doi: 10.1093/gerona/gls188]
- Corrick, K.L., Hunter, G.R., Fisher, G., and Glasser, S.P. Changes in vascular hemodynamics in older women following 16 weeks of combined aerobic and resistance training. Submitted to Journal of Clinical Hypertension. Apr;15(4):241-6, 2013. [PMID: 23551723 ] [doi: 10.1111/jch.12050]
- Fisher, G., Hunter, G.R., Zuckerman, P.A., Bryan, D.R., Bickel, C.S., and McCarthy, J.P. Frequency of Combined Resistance and Aerobic Training in Older Women. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. In Press, 2012. [PMID: 22996024 ] [doi: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e31827367e0]
- Ashraf, A., Fisher G., Alvarez, J.A., Dedenbostel, T., Calhoun, D.A., Szalai, A., and Gower B.A. Associations of C-reactive protein with indices of vascular health and the influence of serum 25(OH)D status. Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism. 2012:475975, 2012. [PMID: 23029606 ] [PMCID: PMC3457628] [doi: 10.1155/2012/475975]
- Perrey, S., Joyner, M., Nosaka, K., Pitsiladis, Y.P., Smoliga, J.M., Hunter, G.R., Kim, C.K., Ruiz, J.R., Lucia, A., Louis, J., Zavorsky, G.S., Fisher, G., and Kim, H.J. Commentaries on Viewpoint: Sacrificing economy to improve running performance - - a reality in the ultramarathon? Journal of Applied Physiology. Aug; 113: 510-512, 2012. [PMID: 22854299 ]
- Hunter, G.R., Fisher, G., Bryan, D.R., and Zuckerman, P.A. Weight loss and exercise training effect on oxygen uptake and heart response to locomotion. Journal of Strength and Conditioning. May; 26 (5): 1366-73, 2012. [PMID: 22344063 ]
- Brock, D.W., Tompkins, C.L., Sibold, J., Fisher, G., and Hunter, G.R. Influence of resting energy expenditure on blood pressure is independent of body mass and a marker of sympathetic tone. Metabolism. 2012 Feb;61(2):237-41. [PMID: 21820136 ] [PMCID: PMC3213288]
- Hunter, G.R., McCarthy, J.P., Bamman, M.M., Larson-Meyer, E.D, Fisher, G., and Newcomer, B.R. Exercise economy in African American and European American women. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 2011 Aug;111(8):1863-9. [PMID: 21229260 ] [PMCID: PMC3137679 ]
- Fisher, G., Hyatt, T.C., Hunter, G.R., and Gower, B.A. Markers of inflammation and fat distribution following weight loss in African American and Caucasian women. Obesity. 2012 Apr;20(4):715-20. [PMID: 21527894 ] [doi: 10.1038/oby.2011.85]
- Foster, E.B., Fisher, G., Sartin, J.L., Elsasser, T.H., Wu, G., Cowan, W., and Pascoe, D.D. Acute regulation of IGF-I by alterations in post-exercise macronutrients. Amino Acids. 2012 Apr;42(4):1405-16 [PMID: 21293890 ]
- Fisher, G., Hyatt, T.C., Hunter, G.R., and Gower, B.A. Effect of diet with and without exercise training on markers of inflammation and fat distribution in overweight women. Obesity. June; 19(6): 1131-6, 2011. [PMID: 21183937 ] [PMCID: PMC3102145]
- Fisher, G., Schwartz, D.D., Quindry, J., Barberio, M.D., Foster E.B., Jones, K.W., and Pascoe, D.D. Lymphocyte enzymatic antioxidant responses to oxidative stress following high-intensity interval exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology. Mar;110(3):730-7, 2011. [PMID: 21127208 ]
- Fisher, G., Alvarez, J.A., Ellis, A.C., Granger, W.M., Ovalle, F., Cobelli, C., Dalla Man, C., and Gower, B.A. Race differences in the associations of oxidative stress and insulin sensitivity in European- and African- American women. Obesity. 2012 May;20(5):972-7. [PMID: 22173574 ] [doi: 10.1038/oby.2011.355]
- Gower, B.A., Goree, L.L, Fisher, G. and Ballinger, S. “Could lowering fat intake reduce diabetes risk even if it doesn’t lead to weight loss?” Diabetes Management. 1(6), 547-550, 2011. [doi: 10.2217/dmt.11.53 ]
- Fisher, G., Hunter, G.R., and Gower B.A. Aerobic exercise training conserves insulin sensitivity for one-year following weight loss in overweight women. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2012 Feb;112(4):688-93. [PMID: 22174391 ] [PMCID: PMC3289431]
- Fisher, G., Hunter, G.R., and Gower, B.A. Response to Effect of Diet With and Without Exercise Training on Markers of Inflammation and Fat Distribution in Overweight Women. Obesity. 2012 Jul;20(7):1336-7. [PMID: 22733042 ] [doi: 10.1038/oby.2012.68]
- Pascoe D.D., and Fisher G. Comparison of measuring sites for the assessment of body temperature. Thermology International 19(2): 35-42, 2009.
- Fisher G., Foster E., and Pascoe D.D. Equilibration period following exposure to hot or cold conditions when using infrared thermography. Thermology International 18(3): 95-100, 2008.