The University of Alabama at Birmingham
Nutrition and Obesity Research Center &
Office of Energetics
406 Lister Hill Library
1700 University Boulevard
Phone: (205) 975-9131
Fax: (205) 975-7560
I joined the Nutrition and Obesity Research Center in June of 2011 and subsequently joined the Office of Energetics in May of 2012. Presently, I am investigating the fidelity of the reporting of obesity-related scientific literature, as well as the strength of scientific research supporting common suggestions for affecting weight loss, weight maintenance, or the prevention of obesity.
Under the mentorship of Dr. Donald Beitz, I received my bachelor's and master's of science degrees in biochemistry with a graduate minor in statistics from Iowa State University, studying the effects of conjugated linoleic acid on markers of health in females for my thesis. Dr. Timothy Carr served as my mentor for my PhD in nutrition from the University of Nebraska - Lincoln, focusing on the mechanisms of phytosterol-mediated decreases in cholesterol absorption, also with a graduate minor in statistics.
- Casazza K, Fontaine KR, Astrup A, Birch LL, Brown AW, Bohan Brown MM, Durant N, Dutton G, Foster EM, Heymsfield SB, McIver K, Mehta T, Menachemi N, Newby PK, Pate R, Rolls BJ, Sen B, Smith DL Jr, Thomas DM, Allison DB. Myths, presumptions, and facts about obesity. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;368(5):446-54. [doi: 10.1056/NEJMsa1208051 ]
- Martínez I, Perdicaro DJ, Brown AW, Hammons S, Carden TJ, Carr TP, Eskridge KM, Walter J. Diet-induced alterations of host cholesterol metabolism are likely to affect gut microbiota composition in hamsters. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 2013;79(2):553-558.
- Martinez I, Brown AW, Walter J. Does host cholesterol metabolism impact the gut microbiota and why does it matter? Future Microbiology. 2013;8(5):571-573.
- Brown AW, Allison DB. Unintended consequences of obesity-related health policy. Virtual Mentor. 2013;15:339-346.
- Bohan Brown MM, Brown AW, Allison DB. Nutritional epidemiology in practice: learning from data or promulgating beliefs? American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2013;97(1):5-6.
- Brown, AW, AH Trenkle, DC Beitz. 2011. Diets high in conjugated linoleic acid from pasture-fed cattle did not alter markers of health in young women. Nutrition Research. 31:33-41. [PMID: 21310304 ] [doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2010.12.003 ].
- Brown AW, Bohan Brown MM, Onken KL, Beitz DC. Short-term consumption of sucralose, a nonnutritive sweetener, is similar to water with regard to select markers of hunger signaling and short-term glucose homeostasis in women. Nutrition Research. 2011;31:882-8. [doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2011.10.004 ] [PMID: 22153513 ]
- Brown, AW, J Hang, PH Dussault, TP Carr. 2010. Phytosterol ester constituents affect micellar cholesterol solubility in model bile. Lipids. 45:855-62. [doi: 10.1007/s11745-010-3456-6 ]
- Carr, TP, MM Ash, AW Brown. 2010. Cholesterol-lowering phytosterol: factors affecting their use and efficacy. Nutrition and Dietary Supplements. 2:59-72. [doi: 10.2147/NDS.S10974 ]
- Brown, AW, J Hang, PH Dussault, TP Carr. 2009. Plant sterol and stanol substrate specificity of pancreatic cholesterol esterase. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 21:763-740. [doi: 10.1016/j.jnutbio.2009.04.008 ]
- Carr, TP, ED Jesch, AW Brown. 2008. Endocannabinoids, metabolic regulation, and the role of diet. Nutrition Research. 28:641-650. [doi:10.1016/j.nutres.2008.08.003 ]
Years: 2011 - 2014
Mentor(s): David B. Allison, Ph.D. (2012 - 2014)
In June, 2014 completed his training with us and moved on to a position as Research Scientist in the UAB Office of Energetics. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org .