Amy Ellis, MPH, RD, LD
||Past Predoctoral Student
Department of Nutrition Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
1530 3rd Avenue South
Webb Building, Room 427
Birmingham, AL 35294
Phone: (205) 975-9629
Fax: (205) 934-7050
After receiving a BS in Biology from the University of Illinois-Urbana/Champaign and an MPH in Nutrition from the University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, I enjoyed working as a clinical dietitian at a large hospital for several years. In 2007, I began UAB's PhD program in Nutrition Sciences to train for a career in clinical nutrition research. My current research interests include nutritional influences on body composition and aging.
A. ORIGINAL RESEARCH
- Ellis A, Rosenfeld, J. Which equation best predicts energy expenditure in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)? Journal of the American Dietetic Association. In Press.
- Gower B, Goree L, Chandler-Laney P, Ellis A, Casazza K, Granger W. A higher-carbohydrate, lower-fat diet reduces fasting glucose concentration and improves β-cell function in individuals with impaired fasting glucose. Metabolism. In Press.
- Goree L, Chandler-Laney P, Ellis A, Casazza K, Granger W, Gower B. Dietary macronutrient composition affects β-cell responsiveness but not insulin sensitivity. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Vol. 94, No. 1, 120-127 (2011). [PMID: 21593507 ]
- Ellis A, Hyatt T, Hunter G, Gower B. Respiratory Quotient Predicts Fat Mass Gain in Premenopausal Women. Obesity. Vol. 18, No 12, 2255-2259 (2010). [PMID: 20448540 ]
B. INVITED REVIEWS
- Rosenfeld J, Ellis A. Nutrition and Dietary Supplements in Motor Neuron Disease. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America. Vol. 19, No. 3, 573-589 (2008). [PMID: 18625417 ]
- Ellis A, Rosenfeld J. The role of creatine in the management of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and other neurodegenerative disorders. CNS Drugs. Vol. 18, No. 14, 967-980 (2004). [PMID: 15584767 ]
- Cameron A, Rosenfeld, J. Nutritional Issues and Supplements in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Other Neurodegenerative Disorders. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care. Vol. 5, 631-643 (2002). [PMID: 12394638 ]
- Ellis A, Alvarez J, Granger W, Dalla Man C, Cobelli C, Fernandez J, Ovalle F, Gower, B. "Ethnic Differences in Glucose Disposal, Hepatic Insulin Sensitivity, and Endogenous Glucose Production among African American and European American Women." Poster presented at the Endocrine Society Annual Meeting, Boston, MA (2011).
- Ellis A, Alvarez J, Granger W, Dalla Man C, Cobelli C, Fernandez J, Ovalle F, Gower, B. "Associations between adiposity and insulin-mediated glucose disposal in African American and European American females." Poster presented at the Endocrine Society Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA (2010).
- Ellis A, Rosenfeld J. Resting Energy Expenditure in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. Vol. 109, No. 9 (Suppl 3), A-23 (2009). Poster presented at the American Dietetic Association Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo, Denver, CO (2009).
- Ellis A, Chandler-Laney P, Goree L, Casazza K, Gower B. The Effects of a Moderately Reduced Carbohydrate Diet on Total Serum Ghrelin. Poster presented at the Endocrine Society Annual Meeting, Washington, DC (2009)
Acknowledgement and Disclaimer
The trainee's projects are supported by Grant Number F31AT005384 from the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine at the National Institutes of Health. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
Years: 07/2011 – 06/2013
Mentor(s): Barbara A. Gower, PhD