Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 617
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 934-6866
Fax: (205) 934-7959
E-mail: email@example.com 
- Cancer prevention and control in underserved populations
- Obesity and its relation to cancer
- Promoting physical activity
- Translating psychosocial and behavioral research into sustainable community interventions
- Management of chronic disease (e.g., diabetes and cancer)
- University of Toronto, Canada, Psychology BSc, 1992
- West Virginia University, Charleston Area Medical Center, Clinical Internship, 1998
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Clinical Psychology (Medical Psychology), PhD, 1998
- Member, Cancer – Society of Behavioral Medicine
- Member, Physical Activity – Society of Behavioral Medicine
- Member, Women's Health – Society of Behavioral Medicine
- Member, Ethnic and Multicultural Health – Society of Behavioral Medicine
- Minority Health, American College of Sports Medicine
- Member, International Psycho-Oncology Society (IPOS)
- Member, International Society of Behavioral Medicine (ISBM)
Selected Recent Publications
- Martin MY, Person S, Kratt P, Prayor-Patterson H, Kim Y, Salas M, Pisu M. Relationship of health behavior theories with self-efficacy among insufficiently active hypertensive African- American women, Patient Education and Counseling. 2008;72:37-145. PMCID in progress.
- Martin MY. “Missed Opportunities? Improving the Care of Patients with High Blood Pressure.” (Invited commentary) American Journal of Hypertension. Mar 2009;22(3):325-31. PMID: 19229209. PMCID in progress.
- Fouad M, Wynn, T, Martin MY, Partridge E. Patient-Navigation Pilot Project: Results from the Community Health Advisors in Action Program (CHAAP). Ethnicity & Disease. Spring 2010;20:155-61. PMID: 20503896.
- Pisu M, Richardson L, Kim Y, Krontiras H, Martin, MY, Salas, M, Pollack L. Less-Than-Standard treatment in rectal cancer patients: Which patients are at risk? Journal of the National Medical Association. Mar 2010;102(3):190-198. PMID: 20355348.
- Martin MY, Kohler C, Young Kim-IL, Kratt P, Schoenberger Y, Litaker M, Prayor- Patterson H, Clarke S, Andrews S, Pisu M. Taking less than prescribed: Medication non-adherence provider-patient relationship in lower-income, rural minority adults with hypertension. The Journal of Clinical Hypertension. Sep 2010; 12(9):706-13. PMID: 20883231. PMCID in progress.
- Pisu M, Oliver JS, Kim YI, Elder K, Martin MY, Richardson L Treatment for elderly prostate cancer patients: Disparities in a southern state. Medical Care. 2010; Pct. 48(10);915-22. PMID: 20733530.
- Shamly A, Martin, MY, Levine, RS, Pisu M, Breast Cancer Screening Interventions across the US: Types and Populations Served. Cancer Causes and Control. 2010;21(12):2165-72. PMCID: PMC3010185.
- Pisu M, Wang D, Martin MY, Baltrus P, Levine RS. Presence of medical schools may contribute to reducing breast cancer mortality and disparities. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2010; 21(3): 961-76. PMCID: PMC2946795.
- van Ryn M, Sanders S, Kahn K, van Houtven C, Griffin J, Martin MY. Atienza A, Phelan S, Finstad D, Rowland J. Objective Burden, Resources and other Stressors among Informal Cancer Caregivers; a Hidden Quality Issue? Psychooncology. 2011;20(1):44-52. PMID: 20201115.
- Martin MY, Pollack LA, Evans MB, Lee-Smith J, Kratt P, Prayor-Patterson H, Dignan M, Cheney L, Hullett S, Liwo A, Pisu M. Tailoring Cancer Education and Support Programs for Low Income, Primarily African American Cancer Survivors. Oncology Nursing Forum. 2011; 38(1):E55-9. PMID: 21186152. Not federally funded.
- Martin MY, Pisu M, Oster R, Urmie JG, Schrag D, Huskamp H, Lee C, Kiefe C, Fouad M. Racial variation in Willingness to Trade Financial Resources for Life Prolonging Cancer Treatment. Cancer. 2011;117(15):3476-84. PMCID: PMC3142305.
- Martin MY, Kim YI, Kratt P, Litaker MS, Kohler CL, Schoenberger YM, Clarke SJ, Prayor-Patterson H, Tseng TS, Pisu M, Williams OD. Medication adherence among rural, low-income hypertensive adults: A randomized trial of a multimedia community based intervention. American Journal of Health Promotion. 2011;25(6):372-8. PMID: 21721962. PMCID in progress.
- Dignan M, Evans M, Kratt P, Pollack LA, Pisu M, Smith JL, Prayor-Patterson H, Houston P, Watson C, Hullett S, Martin MY. Recruitment of low income, predominantly minority cancer survivors to a randomized trial of the ‘I Can Cope’ cancer education program. Journal of Healthcare for the Poor and Underserved. 2011;l22(3):912-24. PMID: 21841287.
- Martin MY, Kratt PP, Kim YIL, Schoenberger Y-M, Pisu M. ‘Too much trouble for what I get out of it’: Acceptability of cancer screening tests among low-income rural men and women in the Deep South. Public Health. 2011 Nov 26, [Epub ahead of print]. doi:10.1016/j.puhe.2011.09.019. PMID: 22123455.
- Martin MY, Sanders S, Griffin JM, Oster R, Ritchie C, Phelan S, Atienza AA, Khan K, van Ryn M. Racial Variation in the Cancer Caregiving Experience: A Multi-Site Study of Colorectal and Lung Cancer Caregivers. Cancer Nursing. 2011 Nov 14. [Epub ahead of print]. doi: 10.1097/NCC.0b013e3182330850
Special Distinction Poster Presenter at the 11th World Congress Psycho-Oncology, International Psycho-Oncology Society (IPOS) in Vienna Austria. June 21-29, 2009