Reed A. Dimmitt, MD, DVM, MSPH
Department of Pediatrics
School of Medicine
Phone: (205) 638-9918, (205) 638-2987, or 205-934-6794 (Laboratory)
Dr. Dimmitt received his undergraduate and D.V.M. degrees from the University of Missouri and his M.D. from St. Louis University. He then did a residency in pediatrics followed by fellowship in neonatology and developmental medicine at Stanford University. Following his fellowship, he joined the Department of Pediatrics as an Assistant Professor in 2001.Dr. Dimmitt’s laboratory investigates the interaction between the innate and adaptive immune systems at the level of the intestinal mucosa. He is currently developing an animal model of necrotizing enterocolitis. He also is investigating the role of CXC chemokines in intestinal ischemia-reperfusion injury.
- Sprague, R.S., Dimmitt, R.A., Weintraub, N.L., Branch, C.A., McMurdo, L. and Lonigro, A.J. Effect of L-NAME onpressure-flow relationships in isolated rabbit lungs: role of red blood cells. Am. J. Phys.269:H1941-1948, 1995.
- Dimmitt, R.A., Meier, A.H., Skarsgard, E.D., Halamek, L.P., Smith, B.M. and Moss, R.L. Salvage laparotomy for failure of peritoneal drainage in necrotizing enterocolitis in extremely low birth weight infants. J. Pediatr. Surg. 35:856-859, 2000.
- Skarsgard, E.D., Amii, L., Moss, R.L., Dimmitt, R.A. and Sakamoto, G. Transamniotic versus placental vessel administration of rhIGF-1 in a rabbit model of intauterine growth retardation. J. Surg. Res.99:142-146, 2001.
- Dimmitt, R.A., Moss, R.L., Rhine, W.D., Benitz, W.E., Henry M.C.W. and VanMeurs, K. Venoarterial versus venovenous ex tracorporeal Life Support Organization Registry 1009-1999. J. Pediatr. Surg.36:1199-1204, 2001.
- Moss, R.L., Dimmitt, R.A., Henry, M.C.W., Geraghty, N. and Efron, B. A meta-analysis of peritoneal drainage for necrotizing enterocolitis in neonates. J. Pediatr. Surg. 36:1210-1213.
- Moss, R.L., Henry, M.C.W., Dimmitt, R.A., Geraghty, N. and Rangel, S. The role of prospective randomized clinical trials in pediatric surgery: state of the art? J. Ped. Surg. 36:1182-1186, 2001.
- Dimmitt, R.A., Beckman, S.A., Halamek, L.P., Moss, R.L., Mickas, N.A., Falco, D.A., Chubb, C. and Skarsgard, E.D. Effects of partial liquid ventilation on cerebral blood flow and metabolism in neonatal lambs. J. Pedatr. Surg. 27:840-844, 2002.
- Dimmitt, R.A., Glew, R.H., Colby, C., Skarsgard, E.D., Brindle, M.E. and Moss, R.L. Serum cytosolic b-glucosidase activity in a rat model of necrotizing enterocolitis. Pediatr. Res. 54:462-465, 2003.
- Maheshwari, A>, Dimmitt, R.A., Lacson, A., Christensen, R.D. and Calhoun, D.A. Circulating CXC chemokines in a murine intestinal ischemia-reperfusion model. Fetal and Pediatr. Pathol, in press.