Three NORC Ph.D. Students placed in UAB Graduate Student Research Days 2013 Competition
March 18, 2013
Frankie Heyward, Kenneth Kell and Chelsea Singleton, PhD trainees in the UAB Pre-Doctoral Training in Obesity-Related Research Program (HL105349) of the UAB Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC), received awards in the UAB Graduate Students Research Days 2013 .
UAB Graduate Student Research Days, sponsored by the Graduate School, the Graduate Student Association, and Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Honor Society, was held for all degree-seeking UAB graduate students. The competition was limited to 50 master’s students, competing on February 26, and 150 doctoral students, competing on February 27 & 28. These limits were strictly enforced and were determined on a first-come, first-served basis for eligible participants.
Frankie Heyward - Neuroscience
- 3rd Place - Session 6 – Biomedical and Life Sciences
- Title: Diet-induced obesity in adult mice is associated with impaired hippocampus-dependent spatial memory and reduced hippocampal Sirt1 gene expression
Kenneth Kell - Nutrition Sciences
- 2nd place - Session 8 – Public Health and Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Title: Associations Between Socioeconomic Status and Dietary Patterns in the REGARDS Study Population
Chelsea Singleton - Epidemiology
- 3rd place - Session 12 – Public Health and Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Title: Associations between Neighborhood Quality and Physical Activity in New Cuban Immigrants
Back to Current Articles