DSN University of Alabama at Birmingham
MSN University of Texas at Galveston
BSN University of Alabama at Birmingham
As a graduate of UA SON, Dr. Ivey has held clinical and teaching positions in Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana and Texas. Her teaching experience began as a pediatric clinical instructor in Louisiana, prior to receiving her MSN at UTMB Galveston. Dr. Ivey returned to UA SON to study for her DSN which she received in 1991. She subsequently taught at UTMB Galveston and obtained her Post-Master's Pediatric Nurse Practitioner certificate. Dr. Ivey returned to UAB in the summer of 2002 to coordinate the primary care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner program and helped faculty develop the acute and continuing care PNP option.
Dr. Ivey has conducted research using descriptive measures and interventions with families of chronically ill children. In a series of studies using qualitative methods she developed a model for assisting adolescent parents. Her current research is designed to develop a method for successful interventions to prevent obesity in children.
- Ivey, J.B. & Brown,R.D. (2010). "Care of the Minor and legal Implications in K.R. Rice & B.N. Bolick." Pediatric Acute Care, Walthom, MA; Jones & Bartlett.
- Ivey, J.B., Wright, M.A., & Dashiff, C.J. (2010). "Finding the Balance: Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes & Their Parents." Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 23(1), 10-18.
- Ivey, J.B., Wilkinson, L. & Killian, J. (2008). “He Walks Funny”. Pediatric Nursing, 34(6).
- Ivey, J.B. (2006). "Fostering successful preceptorships for advanced practice nursing. Topics in Advanced Practice Nursing eJournal, 6 (1) Medscape. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/52870 print
- Ivey, J. B. (2006). "I Stand for Nursing", Alabama Nurse, January, 2006.
- Ivey, J.B. (2006). "Pediatric Management Problems: A well child visit." Pediatric Nursing, 32 (3).
- Ivey, J.B. (2005). "Pediatric Management Problems: An 8 year old with Headaches." Pediatric Nursing, 31(4), 312-131.
- Ivey, J. B. (2005). "Pediatric Management Problems: A Toddler with a Chronic Cough". Pediatric Nursing 31 (1), 48-49.
- Ivey, J. B. & Moss, Jacqueline. "Doctor of Nursing Practice." Alabama State Nurses Association Annual Convention, September, 2005.
- Ivey, J. B., Wright, M. A., and Dashiff, C. J. "Finding the Balance: Adolescents with Diabetes and Their Families". Presented to the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, Annual Conference on Pediatric Health Care, Phoenix, AZ, March, 2005.
Dr. Ivey is an active member of Sigma Theta Tau, Nu Chapter and has been recognized by the Louisiana, Texas and Alabama State Nurses' Association for her work with these organizations during her career.