"Creativity is a Decision" Prize Competition
June, 10, 2013
The Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, supported by a generous gift from Mars Incorporated, is sponsoring a unique competition for submission of the most creative ideas for grant proposals in obesity-related research.
Winners in different award categories will receive cash prizes for submission of meritorious ideas that are cutting-edge and outside the box and that will lead to submissions of full-scale applications for extramural funding.
- Three categories of applicants are eligible: Graduate Students; Postdoctoral Fellows; and Faculty and Staff.
- Applicants are welcome from every department and school with UAB.
- Winners must submit an extramural grant application for which they are eligible by November 5, 2013 in order to claim their prize.
- Prepare a one-page application, due on July 1, 2013, that includes:
- name, email, and telephone number of applicant;
- award level category (Graduate Student; Postdoctoral Fellow; and Faculty or Staff);
- a succinct description of the idea for the proposal with sufficient enough detail provided to allow for evaluation of merit. The proposal should focus on what makes this truly creative, innovative, and exciting and can be light on experimental details; and
- the name of the funding agency where the full-scale proposal will be submitted and the expected date of submission, which must be no later than November 5, 2013.
- Send all of these materials to email@example.com 
Women, individuals from traditionally disadvantaged groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Note, senior and junior faculty members are equally encouraged to apply.
Award of Prize:
- Applicants will be notified by July 24, 2013.
- Within each category, at least one meritorious applicant will be selected to receive a "pre-award" voucher.
- Graduate Students - $1,000.00
- Postdoctoral Fellows - $2,500.00
- Faculty & Staff - $5,000.00
- In order to claim prize, winners in each category must submit at least one proposal from those judged as highly creative to an extramural sponsoring authority (e.g., NIH, NSF, etc.) by November 5, 2013. It is expected that Winners will apply for suitable funding mechanism for their level. For example:
- Graduate Students might apply for an F31 award from NIH;
- Postdoctoral Fellows might apply for an F32 or K award from NIH; and
- Faculty and Staff might apply for an R-series award from NIH NIH or an INSPIRE or comparable award from NSF.
- Once a grant is submitted, winners can redeem their pre-award voucher for a cash prize.*
*This prize is not a grant to conduct research. The cash prize will be processed as a non-recurring element in your pay and will be considered taxable income. All awardees (including students) will be responsible for any taxes associated with the award.
Interested individuals may contact David B. Allison with questions.
David B. Allison, Ph.D.
Email: Dallison@UAB.edu 
UAB is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Read more at http://www.norc.uab.edu/opportunities/prize