Gareth R. Dutton, PhD
Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 615
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 934-6876
Behavioral and preventive medicine research focusing on lifestyle interventions for weight loss, physical activity, and diabetes prevention. There is a particular emphasis on behavioral interventions as they are implemented in applied and community-based settings and with underserved and minority populations. Related areas of interest include predictors of weight loss maintenance, modifying maintenance programs to minimize weight regain following treatment, and the role of physicians in weight loss and weight loss maintenance.
- 2005 Ph.D., Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA. Major: Clinical Psychology. (Emphasis in Behavioral Medicine)
- 2005 Clinical Psychology Internship (APA-accredited), Brown University, Providence, RI. Major: Clinical Psychology. (Emphasis in Behavioral Medicine)
- 2003 M.A., Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA. Major: Clinical Psychology. (Emphasis in Behavioral Medicine)
- 2000 B.A., Samford University, Birmingham, AL. Major: Psychology
- American Psychological Association
- Society of Behavioral Medicine
- American Diabetes Association
- The Obesity Society
Service to Professional Associations:
- Committee Member, United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1 Behavioral Science Test Material Development Committee, (2010 – 12). Members are selected from national nominees and are responsible for developing current content for national examinations required for U.S. medical licensure.
- Committee Member, National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) Behavioral Science Test Committee, (2010 – 12). Members are selected from national nominees and are responsible for developing test content for NBME behavioral science exams.
- Reviewer, Abstract reviewer for annual conference submissions, Society of Behavioral Medicine, (2006 – Present).
Capital Health Plan (CHP) Weight Management and Diabetes Prevention Program. (2008-10)
Supervision of Clinical Practice
- Capital Health Plan (CHP) Weight Management and Diabetes Prevention Program. (2009-10)
- Gadsden County School-Based Health Clinics. (2007-08)
Selected Recent Publications
- Lewis DW, Dutton GR, Affuso O. Physical Characteristics Associated with Weight Misperception among Overweight and Obese Men: NHANES 1999-2006. Obesity 2015;23(1):242-7. Doi: 10.1002/oby.20930. PMID: 4276430
- Dutton GR, Fontaine KR, Alcorn AS, Dawson J, Capers PL, Allison DB. Randomized Controlled Trial Examining Expectancy Effects on the Accuracy of Weight Measurement. Clinical Obesity. 2015;5(1):38-41. Doi: 10.1111/cob.12083. PMID: 25530148 Cherrington A, Willig A, Agne A, Dutton GR, Llorente C,Scarinci I. Development of a theory-based, peer support intervention to promote weight loss among Latina immigrants. BMC Obesity (in press).
- Dutton GR, Phillips JM, Kukkamalla M, Cherrington AL, Safford MM. Pilot Study Evaluating the Feasibility and Initial Outcomes of a Primary Care Weight Loss Intervention with Peer Coaches. The Diabetes Educator. (in press).
- Nakers LM, Dubyak PJ, Xiaomin L, Anton SD, Dutton GR, Perri MG. Group dynamics are associated with weight loss in the behavioral treatment of obesity. Obesity. (in press)
- Dutton GR, Fontaine KR, Allison DB. Desire Resistance and Desire Reduction in Public Health Approaches to Obesity. Nutrition Today. (in press)
- Dutton GR, Lewis CE. The Look AHEAD Trail: Implications for Lifestyle Intervention in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases. (In press).
- Durant NH, Joseph RP, Affuso OH, Dutton GR, Robertson HT, Allison DB. Empirical evidence does not support an association between less ambitious pre-treatment goals and better treatment outcomes: a meta-analysis. Obes Rev. 2013 Jul;14(7):532-40. doi: 10.1111/obr.12038. Epub 2013 Apr 18. PMCID: PMC3606061
- Dutton GR, Fontaine KR, Allison DB. Desire Resistance and Desire Reduction in Public Health Approaches to Obesity. Nutrition Today. (in press).
- Wadden TA, Bantle JP, Blackburn G, Bolin P, Brancati FL, Bray GA, Clark JM, Coday M, Dutton GR, Egan C, Evans M, Foreyt JP, Ghazarian Sengardi S, Gregg EW, Hazuda HP, Hill JO, Horton ES, Hubbard VS, Jakicic JM, Jeffery RW, Johnson KC, Kahn SE, Kitabchi AE, Knowler WC, Lewis CE, Maschak-Carey BJ, Montez MG, Montgomery B, Nathan DM, Nelson J, Patricio J, Peters A, Pi-Sunyer X, Pownall H, Rickman AD, Vitolins M, Walkup MP, West DS, Williamson D, Wing RR, Wyatt H, Yanovski SZ. Eight-Year Weight Losses with an Intensive Lifestyle Intervention: The Look AHEAD Study. Obesity. 2014;22(1):5-13. doi: 10.1002/oby.20662.
- Rubin R, Wadden TA, Bahnson JL, Blackburn GL, Brancati FL, Bray GA, Coday M, Crow SJ, Curtis JM, Dutton GR, Egan C, Evans M, Ewing L, Faulconbridge L, Foreyt J, Gaussoin SA, Gregg EW, Hazuda HP, Hill JO, Horton ES, Hubbard VS, Jakicic JM, Jeffery RW, Johnson KC, Kahn SE, Knowler WC, Lang W, Lewis CE, Patricio J, Peters A, Pi-Sunyer X, Pownall H, Rejeski WJ, Rosenthal R, Ruelas V, Toledo K, Van Dorsten B, Vitolins M, Williamson D, Wing RR, Yanovski SZ, Zhang P. Impact of Intensive Lifestyle Intervention on Depression and Health-Related Quality of Life in Type 2 Diabetes: The Look AHEAD Trial. Diabetes Care. 2014;37(6):1544-53. doi: 10.2337/dc13-1928.
- Joseph RP, Pekmezi D, Dutton GR, Cherrington AL, Kim Y, Allison JJ, Durant NH. Results of A culturally-adapted Internet-enhanced physical activity pilot intervention for overweight and obese young adult African American women. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. doi: 10.1177/1043659614539176. [Epub ahead of print]
- Unick JL, Hogan PE, Neiberg R, Cheskin LJ, Dutton GR, Evans-Hudnall GE, Jeffery R, Kitabchi AE, Nelson JA, Pi-Sunyer FX, West DS, Wing RR; Look AHEAD Research Group. Evaluation of early weight loss thresholds for identifying non-responders to an intensive lifestyle intervention. Obesity. 2014;22(7):1608-16. doi: 10.1002/oby.20777
- Casazza K, Brown A, Astrup A, Bertz F, Baum III C, Brown M, Dawson J, Durant N, Dutton GR, Fields DA, Fontaine KR, Levitsky D, Mehta T, Menaschemi N, Newby P, Pate R, Raynor H, Rolls BJ, Sen B, Smith DL Jr, Thomas D, Wansink B, Allison D, Heymsfield S. Weighing the Evidence of Beliefs in Obesity Research. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2014 Jun 20:0. [Epub ahead of print] Joseph RP, Pekmezi D, Dutton GR, Cherrington AL, Kim YI, Allison JJ, Durant NH.
- Dutton GR, Laitner MH, Perri MG. Lifestyle Interventions for Cardiovascular Disease Risk Reduction: A Systematic Review of the Effects of Diet Composition, Food Provision, and Treatment Modality on Weight Loss. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2014;16(10):442. doi: 10.1007/s11883-014-0442-0.
- Dutton GR, Nackers LM, Dubyak PJ, Rushing NC, Huynh TV, Tan F, Anton SD, Perri MG. A randomized trial comparing weight loss treatment delivered in large versus small groups. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2014;11(1):123. PMID: 25249056
- Dutton GR, Herman KG, Tan F, Goble M, Dancer-Brown M, Van Vessem N, Ard JD. Patient and physician characteristics associated with the provision of weight loss counseling in primary care. Obes Res Clin Pract 2014;8(2):e123-30. doi: 10.1016/j.orcp.2012.12.004. PMID: 24743007
- Dutton GR. Managing your weight: how a psychologist can help. Diabetes Self Manag 2014;31(1):6, 8, 10. PMID: 24640056
- Dutton GR, Lewis TT, Durant N, Halanych J, Kiefe CI, Sidney S, Kim Y, Lewis CE. Perceived weight discrimination in the CARDIA study: differences by race, sex, and weight status. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014;22(2):530-6. doi: 10.1002/oby.20438. PMID: 23512948
- Dutton GR, Bodell LP, Smith AR, Joiner TE. Examination of the relationship between obesity and suicidal ideation. International Journal of Obesity. 2013;37(1):1-5. doi:10.1038/ijo.2012.224 PMID 23318723
- Casazza K, Fontaine KR, Astrup A, Birch LL, Brown AW, Bohan Brown MM, Durant N, Dutton GR , Foster EM, Heymsfield SB, McIver K, Mehta T, Menachemi N, Newby PK, Pate R, Rolls BJ, Sen B, Smith Jr DL, Thomas DM, Allison DB. Myths, Presumptions, and Facts about Obesity. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;368(5):446-54. doi: 10.1056/NEJMsa1208051.
- Durant NH, Joseph RP, Affuso OH, Dutton GR, Robertson HT, Allison DB. Empirical Evidence Does Not Support an Association between Less Ambitious Pre-Treatment Goals and Better Treatment Outcomes: A Meta-Analysis. Obesity Reviews. 2013;14(7):532-40. doi: 10.1111/obr.12038.
- Joseph R, Pekmezi D, Lewis T, Dutton GR, Turner L, Durant N. Physical Activity and Social Cognitive Theory Outcomes of an Internet-Enhanced Physical Activity Intervention for African American Female College Students. J. Health Dispar Res Pract. 2013;6(2):1-18.
- Shin H, Panton LB, Dutton GR, Ilich JZ. Relationship of physical performance with body composition and bone mineral density in individuals over 60 years of age: A systematic review. Journal of Aging Research. 2011;2011:191896. doi: 10.4061/2011/191896.
- Crescioni AW, Ehrlinger J, Alquist JL, Conlon KE, Baumeister RF, Dutton GR. High trait self-control predicts positive health behaviors and success in weight loss Journal of Health Psychology. 2011;16(5), 750-759. doi:10.1177/1359105310390247.
- Conlon KE, Ehrlinger J, Eibach RP, Crescioni AW, Alquist JL, Gerend MA, Dutton GR. Eyes on the prize: The longitudinal benefits of goal focus on progress toward a weight loss goal. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology. 2011;47(4):853-5. PMCID:PMC3104274 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2011.02.005
- Shin H, Shin J, Liu PY, Dutton GR, Abood DA, Ilich JZ. Self-efficacy improves weight loss in overweight/obese postmenopausal women during a 6-month weight loss intervention. Nutrition Research. 2011;31(11), 822-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2011.09.022
- Dutton GR, Tan F, Perri MG, Stine CC, Dancer-Brown M, Goble M, Van Vessem N. What words should we use when discussing excess weight? Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine. 2010;23(5):606-13.
- Dutton GR, Perri MG, Dancer-Brown M, Goble M, Van Vessem N. Weight loss goals of patients in a health maintenance organization. Eating Behaviors. 2010;11(2):74-8.
- Dutton GR, Perri MG, Stine CC, Goble M, Van Vessem N. Comparison of physician weight loss goals for obese male and female patients. Preventive Medicine. 2010;50(4):186-8.
- Crombie AP, Ilich JZ, Dutton GR, Panton LB, Abood DA. The freshman weight gain phenomenon revisited. Nutrition Reviews. 2009;67(2):83-94. doi:10.1111/j.1753-4887.2008.00143.x.
- Dutton GR, Tan F, Provost B, Allen B, Sorenson J, Smith D. Relationship between self-efficacy and physical activity among patients with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2009;32(3):270-7.
- Dutton GR, Napolitano MA, Whiteley JA, Marcus BH. Is physical activity a gateway behavior for diet? Findings from a physical activity trial. Preventive Medicine. 2008;46(3):216-21.
- Martin PD, Dutton GR, Rhode PC, Horswell R, Ryan DH, Brantley PJ. Weight maintenance following a physician-delivered intervention for obese, low-income minority women. Obesity. 2008;16(11):2462-7.
- Dutton GR, Provost BC, Tan F, Smith D. A tailored print-based physical activity intervention for patients with type 2 diabetes. Preventive Medicine. 2008;47(4):409-11.
- Dutton GR, Martin PD, Welsch MA, Brantley PJ. Promoting physical activity for low-income minority women in primary care. American Journal of Health Behavior. 2007;31(6):622-31.
- Martin PD, Rhode PC, Dutton GR, Redmann S, Ryan DH, Brantley PJ. A primary care weight management intervention for low-income African-American women. Obesity. 2006;14(8):1412-20.
- Dutton GR, Johnson J, Whitehead D, Bodenlos JS, Brantley PJ. Barriers to physical activity among predominantly low-income patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2005;28(5):1209-10.
- UAB Nutrition Obesity Research Center, “Creativity is a Decision” Faculty Award Recipient (2013)
- Presidential Citation for Leadership, American Psychological Association (2012)
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Researcher Award, Florida State University College of Medicine (2010)
- Fellow, National Institutes of Health (NIH) Summer Institute on the Design and Conduct of Randomized Clinical Trials Involving Behavioral Interventions (2006)
- Research Citation Award, Society of Behavioral Medicine (2006, 2003, 2002)