Gareth R. Dutton, PhD
Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 615
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 934-6876
Behavioral and preventive medicine research focusing on lifestyle interventions for weight loss, physical activity, and diabetes prevention. There is a particular emphasis on behavioral interventions as they are implemented in applied and community-based settings and with underserved and minority populations. Related areas of interest include predictors of weight loss maintenance, modifying maintenance programs to minimize weight regain following treatment, and the role of physician counseling in weight loss and weight loss maintenance.
- 2005 Ph.D., Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA. Major: Clinical Psychology. (Emphasis in Behavioral Medicine)
- 2005 Clinical Psychology Internship (APA-accredited), Brown University, Providence, RI. Major: Clinical Psychology. (Emphasis in Behavioral Medicine)
- 2003 M.A., Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA. Major: Clinical Psychology. (Emphasis in Behavioral Medicine)
- 2000 B.A., Samford University, Birmingham, AL. Major: Psychology
- American Psychological Association
- Society of Behavioral Medicine
- American Diabetes Association
- The Obesity Society
Service to Professional Associations:
- Committee Member, United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1 Behavioral Science Test Material Development Committee, (2010 – 12). Members are selected from national nominees and are responsible for developing current content for national examinations required for U.S. medical licensure.
- Committee Member, National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) Behavioral Science Test Committee, (2010 – 12). Members are selected from national nominees and are responsible for developing test content for NBME behavioral science exams.
- Reviewer, Abstract reviewer for annual conference submissions, Society of Behavioral Medicine, (2006 – Present).
Capital Health Plan (CHP) Weight Management and Diabetes Prevention Program. (2008-10)
Supervision of Clinical Practice
- Capital Health Plan (CHP) Weight Management and Diabetes Prevention Program. (2009-10)
- Gadsden County School-Based Health Clinics. (2007-08)
Selected Recent Publications
- Dutton GR, Tan F, Perri MG, Stine CC, Dancer-Brown M, Goble M, Van Vessem N. What words should we use when discussing excess weight? Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine. 2010;23(5):606-13.
- Dutton GR, Perri MG, Dancer-Brown M, Goble M, Van Vessem N. Weight loss goals of patients in a health maintenance organization. Eating Behaviors. 2010;11(2):74-8.
- Dutton GR, Perri MG, Stine CC, Goble M, Van Vessem N. Comparison of physician weight loss goals for obese male and female patients. Preventive Medicine. 2010;50(4):186-8.
- Dutton GR, Tan F, Provost B, Allen B, Sorenson J, Smith D. Relationship between self-efficacy and physical activity among patients with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2009;32(3):270-7.
- Dutton GR, Napolitano MA, Whiteley JA, Marcus BH. Is physical activity a gateway behavior for diet? Findings from a physical activity trial. Preventive Medicine. 2008;46(3):216-21.
- Martin PD, Dutton GR, Rhode PC, Horswell R, Ryan DH, Brantley PJ. Weight maintenance following a physician-delivered intervention for obese, low-income minority women. Obesity. 2008;16(11):2462-7.
- Dutton GR, Provost BC, Tan F, Smith D. A tailored print-based physical activity intervention for patients with type 2 diabetes. Preventive Medicine. 2008;47(4):409-11.
- Dutton GR, Martin PD, Welsch MA, Brantley PJ. Promoting physical activity for low-income minority women in primary care. American Journal of Health Behavior. 2007;31(6):622-31.
- Martin PD, Rhode PC, Dutton GR, Redmann S, Ryan DH, Brantley PJ. A primary care weight management intervention for low-income African-American women. Obesity. 2006;14(8):1412-20.
- Dutton GR, Johnson J, Whitehead D, Bodenlos JS, Brantley PJ. Barriers to physical activity among predominantly low-income patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2005;28(5):1209-10.
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Researcher Award, Florida State University College of Medicine (2010)
- Fellow, National Institutes of Health (NIH) Summer Institute on the Design and Conduct of Randomized Clinical Trials Involving Behavioral Interventions (2006)
- Research Citation Award, Society of Behavioral Medicine (2006, 2003, 2002)