Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 637
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 934-3722
Fax: (205) 934-4262
Web Site 
- Cancer Epidemiology
- Cancer Prevention and Control
- Nutrition and Cancer
Current Research Projects
P30DK56336 (Desmond) 09/01/2007-05/31/2012
UAB Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) Biostatistics Core (formerly UAB Clinical Nutrition Research Unit - Core D)
The objective of the NORC is to foster a multidisciplinary approach to basic, clinical, and translational research focusing on an understanding of factors underlying nutrition and obesity-related health problems. Overall, the BC serves as the focal point from which NORC investigators draw statistical expertise for the design, management and analysis of nutrition-related research projects. The specific aims of the BC are to: 1) coordinate and manage statistical activities in the NORC to ensure that investigators have ready access to statistical consultation and support; 2) provide statistical consultation on study design and research proposal development; 3) provide statistical analyses for NORC projects including statistical genetics; 4) participate in teaching and training activities of the NORC; and 5) develop methodologies for novel experimental designs and analyses. Dr. Desmond serves as core director.
- Purdue University, BS Biology, 1979, West Lafayette, IN
- Purdue University, DVM Veterinary Medicine, 1983, West Lafayette, IN
- Georgetown University, MS Biostatistics & Epidemiology, 1993, Washington, DC
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, PhD Epidemiology, 1996, Birmingham, Alabama
- Alabama Comprehensive Cancer Coalition, Evaluation Chair (2005-present)
- Mentor for Minority Health Research Center Scholar Program (2010-2011)
- Nutrition Obesity Research Center (Biostatistics Core Director, 2006-present)
- Comprehensive Cancer Center (Associate Scientist)
- Cancer Center Clinical Trials Review Committee (Member)
- Post-doc Fellow in Cancer Prevention and Control, 1993-1996, UAB
- Reviewer: Obesity, Annals of Surgical Oncology, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, Cancer, Chest, Melanoma Research, American Journal of Medicine, Journal of Gastroenterology
Selected Recent Publications
- Sweeny L, Dean NR, Magnuson JS, Carroll WR, Helman EE, Hyde SO, Desmond R, Rosenthal EL. EGFR expression in advanced head and neck cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. Head Neck. 2011 Jul 7. (Published electronically ahead of print).
- Obuseh FA, Jolly PE, Jiang Y, Shuaib FM, Waterbor J, Ellis WO, Piyathilake CJ, Desmond RA, Afriyie-Gyawu E, Phillips TD. Aflatoxin B1 albumin adducts in plasma and aflatoxin M1 in urine are associated with plasma concentrations of vitamins A and E. Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 2010 Dec;80(6):355-68. PMID: 21792816
- Smith DL Jr, Mattison JA, Desmond RA, Gardner JP, Kimura M, Roth GS, Ingram DK, Allison DB, Aviv A. Telomere dynamics in Rhesus monkeys: no apparent effect of caloric restriction. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011 Nov;66(11):1163-8.
- Jenkins S, Wang J, Eltoum I, Desmond R, Lamartiniere CA. Chronic Oral Exposure to Bisphenol A Results in a Non-Monotonic Dose Response in Mammary Carcinogenesis and Metastasis in MMTV-erbB2 Mice. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2011 Oct 12. (Published electronically ahead of print).
- Obuseh FA, Jolly PE, Kulczycki A, Ehiri J, Waterbor J, Desmond RA, Preko PO, Jiang Y, Piyathilake CJ. Aflatoxin levels, plasma vitamins A and E concentrations, and their associations with HIV and hepatitis B virus infections in Ghanaians: a cross-sectional study. Journal of the International AIDS Society. 2011 Nov 11;14(1):53.
- Shikany JM, Desmond R, McCubrey, R, Allison DB. Meta-analysis of studies of a specific delivery mode for a modified-carbohydrate diet. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. 2011 Sep 7. (Published electronically ahead of print).
- Lavilla-Alonso S, Bauer MM, Abo-Ramadan U, Ristimäki A, Halavaara J, Desmond RA, Wang D, Escutenaire S, Ahtiainen L, Saksela K, Tatlisumak T, Hemminki A, Pesonen S. Macrophage metalloelastase (MME) as adjuvant for intra-tumoral injection of oncolytic adenovirus and its influence on metastases development. Cancer Gene Therapy. 2011 Nov 18(Published electronically ahead of print).
- Sinclair CF, McColloch NL, Carroll WR, Rosenthal EL, Desmond RA, Magnuson JS. Patient-perceived and objective functional outcomes following transoral robotic surgery for early oropharyngeal carcinoma. Archives of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery. 2011 Nov;137(11):1112-6.
- Fontaine K, Robertson T, Holst C, Desmond R, Stunkard AJ, Sørensen TIA, Allison DB. Is socioeconomic status of the rearing environment causally related to obesity in the offspring? PLoS ONE. 2011;6(11):e27692. (Published electronically ahead of print).
- Alexander NS, Kulbersh BD, Heath CH, Desmond RA, Caron E, Woolley A, Hill JS, Shirley WP, Wiatrak BJ. MRSA and Non-MRSA Otorrhea in Children: A Comparative Study of Clinical Course Archives of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery. 2011 Dec;137(12):1223-7.
Selected Recent Publications
- Phi Kappa Phi (1997)
- Delta Omega (1997)
- William Bailey Award in Cancer Prevention and Control, 1996 UAB Cancer Center Retreat