Eric Paul Plaisance, Ph.D.
Department of Human Studies
Associate Scientist, Nutrition Obesity Research Center
University of Alabama at Birmingham
901 13th Street South
Birmingham, AL 35233
2006, Doctor of Philosophy, Auburn University, Major: Exercise Science
1998, Master of Sport Science, United States Sports Academy, Major: Fitness Management
1997, Bachelor of Science, Nicholls State University, Major: Biology
- pre 2009
- Grandjean, P.W., E.P. Plaisance, M.L. Mestek, A.J. Mahurin, J. Kyle Taylor and J. Moncada-Jimenez. Fasting triglyceride responses following a single session of aerobic exercise and extended-release niacin. In Preparation.
- Phaeler, A., M.K. Nanjappa, E. Coleman, D. Saunders, E.P. Plaisance, R.L. Judd and B.T. Akingbemi. Regulation of adiponectin secretion by soy isoflavones has implication for endocrine function of the testis. Toxicology Letters. 2012. 209:78-85.
- Wooldridge A.A., H.G. Edwards, E.P. Plaisance, R. Applegate, D.R. Taylor, J. Taintor, Q. Zhong and R.L. Judd. Evaluation of high molecular weight adiponectin in horses. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 2012. 73:1230-1240.
- E. Plaisance, F. Greenway, A. Boudreau, K. Hill, W. Johnson, C. Perrone, N. Orentreich, W. Cefalu, T. Gettys. Dietary methionine restriction increases fat oxidation in obese adults with metabolic syndrome. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2011. 96:836-840.
- B. Hasek, L. Stewart, T. Henagan, A. Boudreau, N. Lenard, C. Black, J. Shin, P. Huypens, V. Malloy, E.P. Plaisance, R. Krajcik, N. Orentreich, and T. Gettys. Dietary methionine restriction enhances metabolic flexibility and increases uncoupled respiration in both fed and fasted states. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 2010. 299:R728-739.
- Plaisance, E.P., T.M. Henagan, H. Echlin, A. Boudreau, N.R. Lenard, B.E. Hasek, N. Orentreich and T.W. Gettys. Role of β-adrenergic receptors in the hyperphagic and hypermetabolic responses to dietary methionine restriction. American Journal of Physiology – Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 2010. 299:R740-R750.
- Moncada-Jimenez, J., E.P. Plaisance, F. Araya-Ramirez, J.K. Taylor, L Ratcliff, M.L. Mestek, P.W. Grandjean and L. AragonVargas. Acute hepatic response to diet modification and exercise-induced endotoxemia during a laboratory-based duathlon. Biology of Sport. 2010. 27:111-118.
- Mansour, M., E. Coleman, J. Dennis, B. Akingbemi, D. Schwartz, T. Braden, R. Judd, E. Plaisance, L. Stewart, and E. Morrison. Activation of PPARγ by rosiglitazone does not negatively impact male sex steroid hormones in diabetic rats. PPAR Research. 2009. 2009:1-8.
- Plaisance, E.P., P.W. Grandjean, R.L. Judd, K. Jones and J.K. Taylor. The influence of gender, body composition and non-esterified fatty acids on serum adipokine concentrations. Metabolism. 2009. 58: 1557-1563.
- Mestek, M.L. E.P. Plaisance, L.A. Ratcliff, J.K. Taylor, S.O. Wee and P.W. Grandjean. Aerobic exercise and postprandial lipemia: Issues on volume and frequency of exercise response. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2009. 41:966.
- Kaushik, S.V., E.P. Plaisance, P.W. Grandjean and S.T. Mathews. Decreased serum fetuin-A concentrations are associated with lowering of triglycerides in niaspan-treated individuals with metabolic syndrome. Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews. 2009. 25: 427-434.
- Plaisance, E.P., M. Lukasova, S. Offermanns, R.L. and R.L. Judd. Niacin stimulates adiponectin secretion through the GPR109A receptor. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2009. 296: E549-E559.
- Moncada-Jimenez, J., E.P. Plaisance, M.L. Mestek, T. Wee, F. Araya-Ramirez, P.W. Grandjean and L. AragonVargas. Duathlon performance unaltered by short-term changes in dietary fat and carbohydrates. Int J Sport Nutr Exer Metabolism. 2009. 19:47-60.
- Moncada-Jimenez, J., E.P. Plaisance, F. Araya-Ramirez, T. Wee, M.L. Mestek, P.W. Grandjean and L. AragonVargas. Initial metabolic state and exercise-induced endotoxaemia are unrelated to gastrointestinal symptoms during exercise. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine. 2009. 8:252-258.
- Mestek, M.L., E.P. Plaisance and P.W. Grandjean. The relationship between pedometer-determined and self-reported physical activity and body composition variables in college-aged males and females. Journal of American College Health. 2008. 57: 39-44.
- Plaisance, E.P., M.L. Mestek, A.J. Mahurin, J. Kyle Taylor, J. Moncada-Jimenez and P.W. Grandjean. The effects of aerobic exercise and extended-release niacin on postprandial lipemia in men with the metabolic syndrome. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2008. 38: 30-37.
- Plaisance, E.P., P.W. Grandjean, B.L. Brunson and R.L. Judd. Increased total and high-molecular weight adiponectin following extended-release niacin. Metabolism. 2008. 57: 404 – 409.
- Mestek, M.L., E.P. Plaisance, L.A. Ratcliff, J.K. Taylor, S.O. Wee and P.W. Grandjean. Aerobic exercise and postprandial lipemia in men with metabolic syndrome. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2008. 40: 2105-2111.
- Plaisance, E.P., J.K. Taylor, B.D. Hilson, S. Alhassan, A. Abebe, J.C. Garner, M.L. Mestek and P.W. Grandjean. Cardiovascular fitness and vascular inflammatory markers after acute aerobic exercise. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. 2007. 17: 154-164.
- Alhassan, S., K.A. Reese, J. Mahurin, E.P. Plaisance, B.D. Hilson, J.C. Garner, S-O Wee and P.W. Grandjean. Blood lipid responses to plant stanol ester supplementation and aerobic exercise training. Metabolism. 2006. 55: 541-549.
- M.L. Mestek, J.C. Garner, E.P. Plaisance, J.K. Taylor, S. Alhassan and P.W. Grandjean. Blood lipid responses after continuous and accumulated aerobic exercise. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. 2006. 16: 245-254.
- Kolok, A.S., E.P. Plaisance, and A. Abdelghani. Individual variation in the swimming performance of fishes: an overlooked source of variation in toxicity studies. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 1998. 17: 282-285.