Department of Human Studies
Associate Scientist, Nutrition Obesity Research Center
UAB NORC Named New Investigator 2016-17
University of Alabama at Birmingham
901 13th Street South
Birmingham, AL 35233
Eric P. Plaisance is an Assistant Professor of Exercise Science (primary appointment) and Nutrition (secondary appointment). He received a Ph.D. in Exercise Science from Auburn University in 2006. He subsequently completed postdoctoral fellowship training in Molecular Endocrinology at the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine from 2006 to 2009 and in Molecular Nutrition at the LSU Pennington Biomedical Research Center from 2009-2013. He joined the UAB faculty as an Assistant Professor in 2013 and is an Associate Scientist with the NORC.
2006, Doctor of Philosophy, Auburn University, Major: Exercise Science
1998, Master of Sport Science, United States Sports Academy, Major: Fitness Management
1997, Bachelor of Science, Nicholls State University, Major: Biology
Dietary energy restriction produces short-term reductions in body weight. However, weight loss often produces myriad effects which culminate in weight regain and dietary recidivism. My research program is primarily focused on the development of novel exercise and dietary strategies to overcome reductions in resting metabolism and subsequent weight regain that occur in the presence of weight loss interventions.
Role of High-Intensity Interval Exercise Training on Dietary Energy Restriction-Mediated Reductions in Energy Expenditure and Metabolism
The purpose of this study is to determine if high-intensity interval exercise can overcome the reduction in resting energy expenditure produced by energy restriction (dieting). We hypothesized that high-intensity exercise will increase brown adipose thermogenesis leading to favorable improvements in resting energy expenditure and metabolism.
Effects of Beta-hydroxybutyrate Esters on Energy Homeostasis and Metabolism
The purpose of this study is to examine if the ketone, beta-hydroxybutyrate, increases brown adipose thermogenesis and energy expenditure. Beta-hydroxybutyrate may mimic the effects of calorie restriction without restricting energy, highlighting the potential of these agents for weight loss.
- Plaisance chosen as 17th Named New Investigator for UAB Nutrition Obesity Research Center
July 11, 2016
- pre 2009
- Miller K.E., D.C. Martz, C. Stoner, A. Jowers, M. Taheri, M.A. Sarzynski, R.A. Harley, L.L. Wilkinson, E.P. Plaisance. Efficacy of a personalized telephone-based medical nutrition program on blood lipid and lipoprotein metabolism: Results of Our Healthy Heart. In Preparation.
- French A., K. Casazza, E.P. Plaisance, G.R. Hunter. Baseline measures associated with subsequent weight loss in overweight girls. Pediatric Exercise Science Journal. In Preparation.
- Carter, S.J., E.P. Plaisance, G. Fisher, J.R. Fernandez, B.A. Gower, G.R. Hunter. Alterations in hemoglobin and serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D are related before and after weight loss independent of African admixture. International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. 2016.
- Carter, S.J., E. P. Plaisance, A.M. Goss, G. Fisher, J.R. Fernandez, B.A. Gower, G.R. Hunter. Systolic blood pressure response after high-intensity interval exercise is independently related to decreased small arterial elasticity in normotensive African American women. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism. 2016. 41:484-490.
- Clay, O.C., R.J. Thorpe, L.L. Wilkinson, E. P. Plaisance, M. Crowe, P. Sawyer, C.J. Brown. An examination of lower extremity function and its correlates in older African American and Caucasian male Medicare beneficiaries. Ethnicity and Disease. 2015. 25:271-278.
- Hunter, G.R., J.P. McCarthy, M. Bamman, G. Fisher, E.P. Plaisance, B.R. Newcomer. Muscle fiber type, achilles tendon length, potentiation, and running economy. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2015. 29:1302-1309.
- Hunter, G.R., G. Fisher, W.H. Neumeier, S.J. Carter, E.P. Plaisance. Exercise training and energy expenditure following weight loss. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2015. 47:1950-1957.
- Taylor, J.K., E.P. Plaisance, A.J. Mahurin, M.L. Mestek, J. Moncada-Jimenez, P.W. Grandjean. Paraoxanase responses to exercise and niacin therapy in men with metabolic syndrome. Redox Report. 2015. 20:42-48.
- Plaisance, E.P., L.L. Wilkinson, K.E. Miller, L.S. Mahan. Factors influencing the accumulation of recommended physical activity among Latinos in the Deep South of the United States. Challenges. New Trends in Physical Education, Sport and Recreation (Spanish version: (ISSN: Print Edition: 1579-1726). Invitation to Dr. Plaisance. 2015. 27:213-217.
- Loyaga-Rendon, R.Y. and E.P. Plaisance. Does increased oxygen extraction contribute to the improvement of VO2peak observed in patients who exercise with increased LVAD speed? European Journal of Heart Failure. 2014. 11:1256.
- Grandjean, P.W., E.P. Plaisance, M.L. Mestek, A.J. Mahurin, J. Kyle Taylor and J. Moncada-Jimenez. Fasting triglyceride responses following a single session of aerobic exercise and extended-release niacin. In Preparation.
- Phaeler, A., M.K. Nanjappa, E. Coleman, D. Saunders, E.P. Plaisance, R.L. Judd and B.T. Akingbemi. Regulation of adiponectin secretion by soy isoflavones has implication for endocrine function of the testis. Toxicology Letters. 2012. 209:78-85.
- Wooldridge A.A., H.G. Edwards, E.P. Plaisance, R. Applegate, D.R. Taylor, J. Taintor, Q. Zhong and R.L. Judd. Evaluation of high molecular weight adiponectin in horses. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 2012. 73:1230-1240.
- E. Plaisance, F. Greenway, A. Boudreau, K. Hill, W. Johnson, C. Perrone, N. Orentreich, W. Cefalu, T. Gettys. Dietary methionine restriction increases fat oxidation in obese adults with metabolic syndrome. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2011. 96:836-840.
- B. Hasek, L. Stewart, T. Henagan, A. Boudreau, N. Lenard, C. Black, J. Shin, P. Huypens, V. Malloy, E.P. Plaisance, R. Krajcik, N. Orentreich, and T. Gettys. Dietary methionine restriction enhances metabolic flexibility and increases uncoupled respiration in both fed and fasted states. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 2010. 299:R728-739.
- Plaisance, E.P., T.M. Henagan, H. Echlin, A. Boudreau, N.R. Lenard, B.E. Hasek, N. Orentreich and T.W. Gettys. Role of β-adrenergic receptors in the hyperphagic and hypermetabolic responses to dietary methionine restriction. American Journal of Physiology – Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 2010. 299:R740-R750.
- Moncada-Jimenez, J., E.P. Plaisance, F. Araya-Ramirez, J.K. Taylor, L Ratcliff, M.L. Mestek, P.W. Grandjean and L. AragonVargas. Acute hepatic response to diet modification and exercise-induced endotoxemia during a laboratory-based duathlon. Biology of Sport. 2010. 27:111-118.
- Mansour, M., E. Coleman, J. Dennis, B. Akingbemi, D. Schwartz, T. Braden, R. Judd, E. Plaisance, L. Stewart, and E. Morrison. Activation of PPARγ by rosiglitazone does not negatively impact male sex steroid hormones in diabetic rats. PPAR Research. 2009. 2009:1-8.
- Plaisance, E.P., P.W. Grandjean, R.L. Judd, K. Jones and J.K. Taylor. The influence of gender, body composition and non-esterified fatty acids on serum adipokine concentrations. Metabolism. 2009. 58: 1557-1563.
- Mestek, M.L. E.P. Plaisance, L.A. Ratcliff, J.K. Taylor, S.O. Wee and P.W. Grandjean. Aerobic exercise and postprandial lipemia: Issues on volume and frequency of exercise response. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2009. 41:966.
- Kaushik, S.V., E.P. Plaisance, P.W. Grandjean and S.T. Mathews. Decreased serum fetuin-A concentrations are associated with lowering of triglycerides in niaspan-treated individuals with metabolic syndrome. Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews. 2009. 25: 427-434.
- Plaisance, E.P., M. Lukasova, S. Offermanns, R.L. and R.L. Judd. Niacin stimulates adiponectin secretion through the GPR109A receptor. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2009. 296: E549-E559.
- Moncada-Jimenez, J., E.P. Plaisance, M.L. Mestek, T. Wee, F. Araya-Ramirez, P.W. Grandjean and L. AragonVargas. Duathlon performance unaltered by short-term changes in dietary fat and carbohydrates. Int J Sport Nutr Exer Metabolism. 2009. 19:47-60.
- Moncada-Jimenez, J., E.P. Plaisance, F. Araya-Ramirez, T. Wee, M.L. Mestek, P.W. Grandjean and L. AragonVargas. Initial metabolic state and exercise-induced endotoxaemia are unrelated to gastrointestinal symptoms during exercise. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine. 2009. 8:252-258.
- Mestek, M.L., E.P. Plaisance and P.W. Grandjean. The relationship between pedometer-determined and self-reported physical activity and body composition variables in college-aged males and females. Journal of American College Health. 2008. 57: 39-44.
- Plaisance, E.P., M.L. Mestek, A.J. Mahurin, J. Kyle Taylor, J. Moncada-Jimenez and P.W. Grandjean. The effects of aerobic exercise and extended-release niacin on postprandial lipemia in men with the metabolic syndrome. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2008. 38: 30-37.
- Plaisance, E.P., P.W. Grandjean, B.L. Brunson and R.L. Judd. Increased total and high-molecular weight adiponectin following extended-release niacin. Metabolism. 2008. 57: 404 – 409.
- Mestek, M.L., E.P. Plaisance, L.A. Ratcliff, J.K. Taylor, S.O. Wee and P.W. Grandjean. Aerobic exercise and postprandial lipemia in men with metabolic syndrome. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2008. 40: 2105-2111.
- Plaisance, E.P., J.K. Taylor, B.D. Hilson, S. Alhassan, A. Abebe, J.C. Garner, M.L. Mestek and P.W. Grandjean. Cardiovascular fitness and vascular inflammatory markers after acute aerobic exercise. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. 2007. 17: 154-164.
- Alhassan, S., K.A. Reese, J. Mahurin, E.P. Plaisance, B.D. Hilson, J.C. Garner, S-O Wee and P.W. Grandjean. Blood lipid responses to plant stanol ester supplementation and aerobic exercise training. Metabolism. 2006. 55: 541-549.
- M.L. Mestek, J.C. Garner, E.P. Plaisance, J.K. Taylor, S. Alhassan and P.W. Grandjean. Blood lipid responses after continuous and accumulated aerobic exercise. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. 2006. 16: 245-254.
- Kolok, A.S., E.P. Plaisance, and A. Abdelghani. Individual variation in the swimming performance of fishes: an overlooked source of variation in toxicity studies. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 1998. 17: 282-285.